Thread: Oshkosh 2021?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    1. Camp ground reservation confirmed -- Check!
    2. Rental RV Trailer reservation confirmed -- Check!

Now just waiting to see what happens with the event itself and any potential travel restrictions like mandatory proof of vaccination. For the moment I'm not planning to get the shot(s), but I don't get the Flu shot either and haven't since I retired from Active Duty in 2008. And no I'm not anti-vaccine, having been on the receiving end of many shots most of you never have, like the whole 6-shot series for Anthrax. I do wear a mask when requested or where it's mandatory. The bottom line is otherwise healthy people die every day from all kinds of otherwise mundane things, like the Flu--there's no guarantees in life. When your numbers up, its up IMO. Look I choose to live dangerously - I fly, ride motorcycle's, drink, and attend mass gatherings without a mask and that's all on me. To each his own--everyone has to weigh the risks for themselves and make the decision that's best for them. Hope to see you all there!
    Last edited by Auburntsts; 02-16-2021 at 12:39 PM.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    Now just waiting to see what happens with the event itself and any potential travel restrictions like mandatory proof of vaccination. For the moment I'm not planning to get the shot(s), but I don't get the Flu shot either and haven't since I retired from Active Duty in 2008.
    I think the possibility is essentially zero that EAA will require attendees to have proof of vaccination.

I think the possibility that EAA will require volunteers to have proof of vaccination is non-zero, but still highly unlikely. EAA needs the volunteers, and won't want to alienate some of them.

I think it's a higher chance that EAA will require vendors and their employees to be vaccinated. Depends on the availability of the vaccine.

Ron Wanttaja

Doubt that anyone will be required to have been vaxed. It’s not something they can control o enforce. Availability and eligibility varies widely. My county got crushed by the demand and that was for individuals 65 and up. Folks are now driving for 1-2 hours to lesser populated counties.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

I worry about certain areas
    Registration in the north 40 is almost all Canadians
    if their country requires a two week quarantine when they return---most of those people will not show up

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Halloran View Post
    I worry about certain areas
    Registration in the north 40 is almost all Canadians
    if their country requires a two week quarantine when they return---most of those people will not show up
    I’m guessing attendance will be around 85% of previous years. International visitors will be down even more. SNF might be a good yardstick. Will have to wait and see. Personally I don’t think the current vaccine distribution rate is going to be sufficient to change public (those 50 and older) opinion from shunning large public gatherings.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

I've had N95's on in public since I got home from Australia last March. It was pretty clear once you got around the political bull that the virus was transmitted by aerosolized droplets and the N95 was going to be pretty effective against that. I was fortunate that I'm sensitive to wood dust so I happened to have a couple of boxes of masks in my workshop. Margy had also bought some because we feared Australia would still be on fire when we go there (turned out it poured down rain while we were en route pretty much cleaning that up).

Even notwithstanding the mortality, my sense of smell is pretty darned important to me (I'm a wine judge and have a substantial amount invested in that), so I'm not risking things.

I've been saying for quite some time that I don't expect there to be an Airventure 2021. There are too many pre-req's that might be met if all the stars line up, but Vegas thrives on such sucker bets. Moreover, there is absolutely no reason to believe that the percentage of attendees who follow CoViD-19 protocols will be any greater than the population at large. Some will be inoculated but there is no data on whether that affects virus-shedding. Two weeks camping and volunteering is hard enough on the body.

The epidemiologists who are closest to the matter are saying that it will next fall before we might see a lower DefCon level. Even then, the risk of exposure won't be back to "normal" (zero) for a quickly-mutating deadly virus.

Alison and I decided several weeks ago that we would not attend, and notified our volunteer management. I have already received my "AV2021" t-shirt, so my collection is intact.

When Jack has to make the call, I hope he pulls the plug. We don't want to be responsible for an "Aviation Sturgis" super-spreader event.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    I've had N95's on in public since I got home from Australia last March. It was pretty clear once you got around the political bull that the virus was transmitted by aerosolized droplets and the N95 was going to be pretty effective against that. I was fortunate that I'm sensitive to wood dust so I happened to have a couple of boxes of masks in my workshop. Margy had also bought some because we feared Australia would still be on fire when we go there (turned out it poured down rain while we were en route pretty much cleaning that up).

Even notwithstanding the mortality, my sense of smell is pretty darned important to me (I'm a wine judge and have a substantial amount invested in that), so I'm not risking things.
    I guess this one is not risking anything either coming in from the South Pacific and the Far East!