Thread: EVTOL... ultralight... I would like to discuss this with interested members

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by saber25 View Post
    Actually Ron, this statement "In comparison, a gentleman traveler may board a train in New York and arrive refreshed in Chicago a day later, enjoying a comfortable berth in a Pullman, dining luxuriously, smoking the odd cigar, a Wright aeroplanist and his ground caravan carrying gasoline, bamboo, linen, engines, and mechanics would be barely approaching the New York State borders" doesn't sound so bad in view of what's been happening to air travel. I started in the industry in 1965 and knowing what I know now wouldn't recognize what the Egalitarian Airline has turned into.
    My dear Saber, there's a rather easy cure for that. Let me describe my typical airline flight:

I arrive early at the airport, due mostly to ground traffic and parking difficulty.

When I check in with the airlines, I bypass the long lines and go to the ticket counter with only a few people waiting. I usually check my bags, since I hate lugging them all over the airport. No charge to check the bags.

Going to the gates, I only have a couple minutes wait in the TSA line, and don't have to remove my belt or shoes (TSA Precheck).

Got time before the flight? I typically fly Alaska, and they have a free separate waiting lounge. Free breakfast/snacks, free coffee and soft drinks, comfortable individual chairs (not the long attached string of hard plastic seats), free WiFi. Service staff available, clean restrooms.

Stroll out to the gate when flight time comes. Always the first non-family, non-handicapped group to board. Overhead bins are wide open. Sit down in a well-cushioned seat, typically 21-22 inches wide instead of the usual 17. No chance of a center seat; just aisle or window. Legroom is about 36 inches, about six inches more than normal...if I stretch my legs, my ankles touch under the seat in front of me. Overhead bins are large; almost never have to tuck anything under the seat in front of me.

The flight attendant offers me a free drink, and I happily take it. One leaves a cup of nuts on my tray. One FA for about 24 passengers, vs the normal 50 or 60 passengers per FA. We've got our own bathroom, too. The pilot occasionally will come back and chat. After takeoff, there's a choice between two free meals, still with free drinks. Meals sometimes include a hot chocolate-chip cookie.

After landing, I'm nearly the first one off the airplane. Bag is usually one of the first to reach the carousel, typically with a "PRIORITY" tag attached.

The secret? Most people pick their flights based on the cheapest airfares. I pick mine based on the most comfort.

Yes, I'm describing flying first class. Sure, this might be similar to the description of coach-class travel in the '60s, but back then, you paid the EQUIVALENT of today's first-class airfare to get on the airplane.

Next trip you take...look at the first class fares. I've found for some airlines, the first class ticket can be as little as $200 more than a coach class. Delta is an especially good value for first-class fares...I once snagged one for only $80 more than coach. Delta doesn't have the free first-class lounges that Alaska does, though, and the Alaska first class fares are a bit more.

Most people aren't willing to PAY for comfort. Airlines cater to these folks by cramming seats together, charging for baggage, and cutting out amenities. The people flying get what they say they want (cheap air fares) but complain about the environment. It's like someone eating at McDonalds and complaining that the Filet Mignon was dry and tasteless......

Ron Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 03-13-2023 at 12:43 PM.