Thread: Warning in Hawaii

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Floats , I didnt invent the story or its facts, I took it directly from the tv newscast on multiple channels, and there were people scrambling for shelter. The warning said "seek immediate shelter" and the recap on CNN news this morning said "the alert sent people scrambling for shelter". What do you think people did , sit out at the beach or in the open when the heard the warning or stay on the top floor of a high rise? And your idea of not wanting to live after an attack may be your feeling but I think most people very much want to live.
    The idea of what is a safe shelter depends on many things like the size of an explosion and the proximity . An explosion at Honalulu might be survivable on the other side of the island or basement on another island
    My post had nothing to do with if there are any adequate shelter , thats another question.
    The way I read Floats' response, he wasn't arguing with the news reports that people were scrambling for shelter. I believe his point was that, if an attack came, available shelters wouldn't do people much good. We've come a long way from the '50s, with backyard shelters and buildings designated/stocked as shelters.

Back when I was a CAP cadet in the '60s, we found the stock of Civil Defense supplies in the airport terminal's basement. The lemon drops weren't bad.

Ron "The crackers were stale" Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 01-15-2018 at 11:34 AM.