Thread: Flying to asia vfr requirements?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    There is a lengthy article in the AOPA(maybe online too) magazine about ferrying 2 Cirrus planes to China. They went from CA to Hawaii then island hopped to China, not many islands. Doing a trip like that takes some serious preparation, not to be done on a whim. I imagine there are companies & pilots who specialize in such things.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Delene View Post
    There is a lengthy article in the AOPA(maybe online too) magazine about ferrying 2 Cirrus planes to China. They went from CA to Hawaii then island hopped to China, not many islands. Doing a trip like that takes some serious preparation, not to be done on a whim. I imagine there are companies & pilots who specialize in such things.
    Yeah, but who really wants to have a "pleasure" flight with a ferry fuel tank crammed in the back seat?
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Because of the airspace layout, many Japanese come to the US to fly and skydive. I have met a few.
    Same here. I actually hosted one for a few days when I was living in Michigan. That was one of the reasons I was pointing that a lot of countries aren't "GA friendly".

These days it may be possible to stop for fuel in Russia, otherwise you might be 20hrs in the air.
    Which pretty much mandates a dual pilot trip, at least in my book.

Aleutians weather is not for the faint of heart.
    ...or the non-instrument rated. A lot of bush flying experience would probably also help in case you have to put it down in a remote area.

Peter Garrison wrote about being enroute to Japan and waking up to discover that both he and his copilot had fallen asleep. The autopilot flew the airplane just fine, but if anything had gone wrong....
    LOL That's scary but really funny at the same time.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.