Although I have a build thread going on at www.theaerodrome.com, I thought I would follow Frank's lead and post something of my project here.
I am building the full sized version of the Airdrome Aeroplanes Nieuport 17. Since I am 6'2" and range between 210 and 220, I felt the 7/8 scale would not suit me. I got the bug to build one of these planes when I attended Dawn Patrol Rendezvous in 2007. I was bitten bad, but got over it. I went again in 2009, but really didn't get much of the bug that time. However, for some reason in the fall of 2010, I got the bug again, and the rest is history.
I ordered the Graham Lee plan book first, then decided I needed a kit rather than try it from scratch. I chose the AA kit as I felt it was one of the few homebuilt plane projects that I had a reasonable chance of completing. (It took me 6 years to build a car kit.) I was deeply interested in the Nieuport 28, but was drawn to the N 17 as I have a 1/6 scale VK N 17 painted in Lufbery colors. My other possibility was the Sopwith Pup. I also have a 1/3 scale R/C Pup painted in black and white checkerboard. A full scale version would be a real show stopper. However, at the time I was making my decison, I did not like some of the aspects of that kit (since corrected) . Therefore, I chose the N 17.
As for motor, I have a Rotec R2800 7 cylinder radial on order from down under.
Now some about me. I am a licensed private pilot with instrument rating. Although at the time I started this project, I had a tailwheel sign off from flying in a Stearman several years ago, I did not feel comfortable with the signoff, plus it had been several years. I found a fairly local gentleman with a Citabria and have been building tailwheel (and aerobatic) time with him.
Athhough AA advertizes that these planes can be built in 400 hours, reality has set me toward a 3 year project. My goal is to have it flying and restriction time flown off by September 2014 when the next Dawn Patrol Rendezvous is scheduled.
We spent two days in May at the House of Pain working on it, then brought it all back home. Due to work and family committments, plus my desire to "upgrade" certain areas, progress has been slow since we returned. Here are a few photos of where it is now.
Here is what it is supposed to end up like
I am currently working on modified V plates and atachments for the lower ends of the landing gear legs. After several hours, here are the basic patterns.