Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: AirVenture Webcams!

Morning Hal,
    The only complaint I really have was that when ever I would ask any of the volunteers the actual location of the web cams( I only had an ipad and couldn't ever see them) I was always led on a wild goose chase, I was trying to let my kids back in Australia know were they were so we could prove we were actually there..lol They did however know of the one in the museum. Also my daughter has told me that the ones she found at the museum although stating they were live were in fact a couple of hours out of sync?

The cameras that are installed for Airventure are mounted about 60 feet up on top of the Warbird, Vintage and Ultralight Wayfinding towers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushcaddy Pilot View Post
    Morning Hal,
    The only complaint I really have was that when ever I would ask any of the volunteers the actual location of the web cams( I only had an ipad and couldn't ever see them) I was always led on a wild goose chase, I was trying to let my kids back in Australia know were they were so we could prove we were actually there..lol They did however know of the one in the museum. Also my daughter has told me that the ones she found at the museum although stating they were live were in fact a couple of hours out of sync?

The webcam in the museum is a year round feature and is on a totally different system than the AirVenture cams and that may explain the lag in the images. It can be controlled by online viewers where the other cams can only be controlled by our volunteer operators.

We are sorry you could not find the locations of the cams but they are not really common knowledge and this information is not given out, but its not super secret either. That is why most volunteers and most staff if asked would not know where they are. Funny thing is that they physical cameras can be seen from very far away if you know where to look...even from the air.

We are having our debriefing soon and we will incorporate your comments into our considerations for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Fareed Guyot View Post
    We are having our debriefing soon and we will incorporate your comments into our considerations for next year.
    Thanks, Fareed. I'd like to say I thought the webcams worked great this year. We happened to be parked directly beneath one, so the folks back home could watch our every move. That could be either good or bad, but this time it was pretty good. The quality and availability was fine.

Initial setup was a bit "geekish" however, and took about half an hour to figure it out and then document step-by-step so the folks back home could log on and watch while we were away. It worked differently on Internet Explorer vs Firefox, and I remember we had to log in a certain way or the video didn't work. Once we got over that hurdle, however, it worked fine.

Thanks for all your work to provide this feature.

Mike E

EAA airventure cams

Can I just have the link to the live feeds? Its like finding a needle in a haystack. Thanks

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nomiddlemas View Post
    Can I just have the link to the live feeds? Its like finding a needle in a haystack. Thanks
    They're hard to find because they don't exist! Not yet, anyway - the camera are usually up and going 7-10 days before the start of convention.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    They're hard to find because they don't exist! Not yet, anyway - the camera are usually up and going 7-10 days before the start of convention.
    Dang it. Thanks

How about the link to the museum camera since it's up year around?

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Those have been largely inoperative for the last couple of years, mostly due to bandwidth constraints and out-of-date software. I'm going to push for those to get relaunched this fall, after you-know-what.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Hal, I can hardly wait for them to be up and running. I don't care if they are just showing grass because EAA Oshkosh grass is special grass. I also miss the pioneer cam, it is great to check on when I am having a challenging day at work. They seem to have a calming effect.