Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 69

Thread: Robin Ultralight

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Midlothian Texas
    Posts
    62

    Robin Ultralight

    Hello new board!! my name is mark Calder, I'm the designer of the old Wren ultralight, I have a new Ultralight named the Robin that I am getting ready to cover. I put this Blog together that goes back a few yers, it covers all of the design and build of the Robin.

    Please take a look and give me some feedback if you will. Eventually i will be selling plans. My near term goal however is to have the robin to next years Lakeland Airshow

    everything fixed and cheap-1.jpghttp://robinultralight.blogspot.com/

  2. #2
    rosiejerryrosie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Carlisle, PA
    Posts
    392
    Mark, I've been following your blog for a year or so. Great work - great explanations of your progress - can't wait to see the Robin in the air. Keep up the good work!
    Cheers,
    Jerry

    NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Midlothian Texas
    Posts
    62
    I just completed a light weight fairing for the Vert Fin/Rudder. its a pretty interesting process if you have never worked with foam, glass and Gel coat. The final completed fairing weighs 3/4 of an ounce.

    This is a foam technique I use to make compound contour parts. There are quite a few references to this in my blog and I think the average homebuilder will find this quite useful.
    http://robinultralight.blogspot.com/...l-process.html

    http://robinultralight.blogspot.com/...-yarmulke.html

    http://robinultralight.blogspot.com/...e-cowling.html


    IMG_6527.jpg

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Midlothian Texas
    Posts
    62
    I finished the fairings, the canopy, fairings, tip caps and instrument panel are all in for final paint. I installed and calibrated Jim Weibes Belite fuel gauge. I have one final job before I start to cover the Robin, I neeed to rearrange my shop so I can reattach the wings and rig the aileron cables. Thats the final job!!! I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Midlothian Texas
    Posts
    62

    progress report, new instrument panel

    this is about as light as you can get, Belite gauges are almost zero weight, Thank You Jim Weibe!!!


    IMG_0146.jpg

    There are more pictures of the progress on my Blog http://robinultralight.blogspot.com/

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Midlothian Texas
    Posts
    62
    I just updated my blog http://robinultralight.blogspot.com/ with additional info on the instrument and canopy frame modification. i completed the tail fairing and am completing the final wiring. the next step ids to re rig the wings and then rig the aileron cables. Covering will follow shortly after.
    IMG_0147.jpg

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Midlothian Texas
    Posts
    62
    just posted an update. http://robinultralight.blogspot.com I am in the process of completing the canopy installation and instrument panel wiring. I Have tested all of Jim Weibe's Belite instruments and I an report they were flawless.

    IMG_0205.jpg

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Midlothian Texas
    Posts
    62

    Canopy Latch, and Windshield.

    I finally finished the canopy. I installed the Windshield, Latch, centering clips and engine primer. I updated all of this on my blog. http://robinultralight.blogspot.com/IMG_0225.jpg

  9. #9
    rosiejerryrosie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Carlisle, PA
    Posts
    392
    Mark, That's not an airplane, it's a work of art....
    Cheers,
    Jerry

    NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Midlothian Texas
    Posts
    62

    "First" Flight

    My baby just left the ground!! about 4 feet to be exact!! Ii built a stand to elevate the plane so I could install the aileron cables. The last time I had the wings on, the center controls were not complete and the aileron cable could not be routed. Here are some good views. I should be ready to cover the Robin starting Saturday. It wont take but a few days to finish that job and then its on to final finish. I do believe I will be ready for taxi testing by the middle of January. man this has sure been a long haul!!! One of the pictures shows the Friese Type aileron pretty well http://robinultralight.blogspot.com/

    IMG_0235.jpgIMG_0238.jpg

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •