Thread: OSH arrivals

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I have flown in via the standard airplane Fisk arrival some years ago as well as the last two years, and didn't have much problem. I sure never saw any airplanes coming directly toward me. Perhaps the difference was that I wasn't preloaded for it to be a bad experience, I was alert but not fearful. Or maybe we came at a less busy time. I have never had to hold, that might get pretty crowded. The only problem I have is that in my Be 36 TC, it is hard to slow down and maintain 100 mph, if I throttle back that much the gear waring horn comes on at 17 inches manifold pressure, so we just lowered the gear and flew that way despite being a long way out.

What day and time did you arrive? What kind of plane?

And it is a day vfr, vmc procedure, an instrument rating has nothing to do with it, and in fact one needs to be looking outside, not at instruments, other than to set up the initial altitude and speed.
    And despite your frustration, you landed safely.
    And you say you came from Fisk, which is on the SW then made a" left base entry" to the north runway, 36L, "along the lake". I don't see how you did that, the lake is on the east side of the airport, and you would not be over that if you came from the west and made a left base entry.

By the way, warbird/turbine airplanes have their own arrival, but when you get to the runway you still may have to blend in with traffic coming from Fisk to land.

However you come, keep coming and enjoy the convention. Some of us morons like to have fun when there.
    Maybe next year bring a friend with you who has done it before, and/or come at a less busy time.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 03-25-2012 at 06:54 AM.