Thread: Negotiating a Route with ATC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I am not exactly sure the mechanics behind it, but If you file using Foreflight, you should get email updates about your plan and routing. The first message will tell you that the plan has been acknowledged by ATC. Sometime between then and your expected departure time you should get another email with your expected routing. That message will also ask if you want the routing loaded onto the map in Foreflight.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    I am not exactly sure the mechanics behind it, but If you file using Foreflight, you should get email updates about your plan and routing. The first message will tell you that the plan has been acknowledged by ATC. Sometime between then and your expected departure time you should get another email with your expected routing. That message will also ask if you want the routing loaded onto the map in Foreflight.
    The confirmation of expected route is usually fairly accurate, but sometimes it's just not. I filed pretty much OWD V3 MRB CJR. DUATS took it. I got the confirmation as I had filed it. When I called CD for my clearance. I get...

NAVION 5732K is Cleared to the ... wait that's not going to work...got your pencil ready?

If you file your flight plan with www.fltplan.com they will give you your assigned routing and they also have options to select the routes that have been recently given by ATC so you can see what to reasonably expect. When you file your flight plan, you have to wait about 10 minutes or so for it to go through the ATC process and then your flight plan routing will show up. At that time you can receive a text message will have your routing on it.

Quote Originally Posted by gellisdds View Post
    If you file your flight plan with www.fltplan.com they will give you your assigned routing
    No, they will feed back a route which usually will be the same as your assigned routing. It's not foolproof.

Backing up Ron's observation, there have been times I filed, got the routing emailed to me and then, when I called HEF ground for clearance, told that they did not have a plan in on file for me. (Two occasions.) Then there was a time or two when I was cleared as filed and then, when I reported ready at the runway was told, "Stand by for amended routing." An amendment that lasted only until shortly after contact with Potomac Approach one time, and then after the next hand off, when more direct routings were issued.

424AF, why do you have (such and such) routing? (Me) no idea, it is what I was given. (Them) OK. Climb to 9 thousand. Cleared ESL and then direct.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com