Thread: What to build... the eternal question 😁

What to build... the eternal question 😁

So I'm considering building one of the four below (I know, they aren't 100 % Apples to Apples)... I'm a private pilot, but would have to get a tail-wheel endorsement.

Mission: Pleasure flying with some back country (nothing crazy) grass/dirt strips, etc. Like to do some airplane camping.

Bearhawk Patrol
    Pros:
    • Most capable plane of the three, great payload, designed to Utility Category standards.
    • Large builder base with lots of support (my impression)
    • Able to buy sub-assembly and quick build kits to speed up build (but spendy)

Cons:
    • Likely the most expensive option
    • Likely the longest build time as I won't buy the full quick build kits (eg wings/fuselage), but might buy some sub-assemblies (my impression)
    • Seems to be the most "complex" one to build out of these three choices.
    • Larger / more expensive engine requirement.

Christavia Mk I
    Pros:
    • Simplist to build from scratch (my impression)
    • Lowest budget if purely scratch building (my impression)
    • Aircraft Spruce offers pre-bundled material kits
    • Smallest / cheapest engine requirement.

Cons:
    • Would like a more payload
    • Very small builder base, only a few built, so getting knowledgeable help/advice might be hard.
    • No pre-built sub-assemblies to be bought anywhere if I want to speed up the build process.

Wag-Aero Wag-A-Bond Traveler
    Pros:
    • Quite a few have been built
    • Based on production Piper Aircraft
    • Large base of not only builders, but people whom own similar Pipers that I could get help/information from.
    • Wag-Aero offers many sub-assemblies in pre-built / quick built configurations.
    • Lots of interchangeable parts / assemblies with production Pipers
    • Could use "salvaged" assemblies from production aircraft to decrease build time without costing as much as new sub-assemblies from Wag-Aero.
    • Even thought is a homebuilt, A&Ps would be more familiar with the design which could help if I ever need repairs / maintenance away from home.
    • CFIs would be most familiar with this option, which would be great whenever I want refresher or additional training in the future.

Cons:
    • Would like more payload (about the same as the Christavia Mk 1)
    • Spouse is heavy set (don't know how to say it nice), so side by side seating may not be confortable on cross country flights.
    • However, with her arthritus, not sure if she would fly with me very often anyways.

Wag-Aero Sportsman 2+2
    Pros:
    • Same Pros as Wag-A-Bond Traveler except engine plus:
    • Could build as tandem 2 seater giving both myself and wife a lot of room.
    • Better payload similar to the Bearhawk Patrol

Cons:
    • Largest / most expensive engine requirements (little more HP than Bearhawk)
    • To be fair, HP requirements overlap with the Bearhawk Patrol, so likely a wash when comparing the two.

My brain says build the Wag-A-Bond Traveler as it has a large community of builders and fliers, with the bonus of being able to scavenge/salvage parts for "cheap" from aircraft salvage yards and is going to be cheaper than the Sportsman mainly due to the smaller engine requirements. My heart wants the Bearhawk because its the most capable of the four and I'm impressed by Barrow's designs, seems like anyone that has flown one is very impressed. However I think it would be the longest build time and most expensive options of the four I listed. I'm not retired, I work full time, so total build time does play into decision. I would like to fly it someday.

I "think" I want the option of floats someday... which would lean towards the Wag-Aero Sportsman 2+2 or the Bearhawk Patrol.

Thoughts / opinions?

Good research. Be very careful about using components from certified aircraft on the Wag-A-Bond. It can be difficult to prove 51% amateur-built.

My recommendation would be the Bearhawk Patrol. It's what you really want.
    Mel, DAR since the Last Century, Specializing in Light-Sport and Experimental Aircraft. Certificated over 1,100 Light-Sport & Experimental aircraft.

What are your skills level? Three of the projects require a significant amount of welding and sheet metal skills. How are yours? Another is what is your build time frame? All are going to be in the thousands of manhours. If you figure 10 hours a week, you are still talking about three to four solid years of consistent working to complete any of them.

Depending on your skills levels and time commitments, you might be better served by looking at a Kitfox.

Quote Originally Posted by melann View Post
    Good research. Be very careful about using components from certified aircraft on the Wag-A-Bond. It can be difficult to prove 51% amateur-built.

My recommendation would be the Bearhawk Patrol. It's what you really want.
    Correct, I would have to be careful and ensure to meet the 51% build requirement if I use any salvage parts in my build. It would be nice to have the option however.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigCantwell View Post
    What are your skills level? Three of the projects require a significant amount of welding and sheet metal skills. How are yours? Another is what is your build time frame? All are going to be in the thousands of manhours. If you figure 10 hours a week, you are still talking about three to four solid years of consistent working to complete any of them.

Depending on your skills levels and time commitments, you might be better served by looking at a Kitfox.
    Done various metal and wood working most my life, there are definitely some new skills to be learned, but nothing that gives me pause / worry.

I actually really like the new KitFox 7 Speedster... but since it is full kit only, I would have to take a loan out to buy the kit, I don't l want to raid savings/investment funds all at once. The other options would allow me to scratch build what I want and (except for the Cristavia) buy pre-built sub-assemblies when I want to spend a few bucks to save time. I realize it will be a many year build.

When I built my Kitfox back in the 90s, it was fun (and very useful) having a couple of other Kitfox builders nearby; eventually we became best of friends. If you get an opportunity to visit other builder's projects before you decide, I suggest it.