Page 13 of 75 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Young Eagles and Background Security Checks

The main points here seem to be the background check. But it isn't the only issue. If one were to actually read the whole Youth Protection Plan they would see it is unworkable for most YE flights and rallys. In addition we would have to curtail many other programs. Finally the vetting and supervision of virtually all the volunteers at the events is onerous. Imagine at least two "supervisors" wandering around looking for any inappropriate behavior!
    Add to this the requirement for each chapter or YE pilot to keep records of each child, their parents information for at least 3 years.

I am late to this discussion, but I have to weigh in that I see this as equivalent to the big tall black chain link fence that the FAA pays for around our airport. Even though the folks inside the fence smile, the message is still "go away you are not welcome we don't trust you".

I have been a vocal supporter of Young Eagles around my area since the beginning of the program. Being in the northeast and flying an airplane with an open front cockpit, I have not flown anywhere near as many Young Eagles as a lot of my peers, but I have encouraged a lot of those peers to fly kids and, during my years as a chapter president, helped organize.

That is all history. A background check to take a kid up for 15 mins to make them smile just doesn't make sense. Too many more important items on the personal todo list. And like a medical, a silly card just says I was once a good guy and nothing about what I am for those next 15 minutes.

Frankly, pilots, compared to the general population, are the best people to trust your kid with for 15 minutes. They spend hours, days, and weeks, learning how to safely operate a complicated machine in an unforgiving environment. In general they are high achievers, careful, and don't often do self-destructive and impulsive things. So what's the problem being solved? The "everyone else is doing it" answer doesn't work. We do everything in aviation for a reason. What's the reason?

So I'm done. I have better uses for my time and enthusiasm. Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Quote Originally Posted by combahee View Post
    The main points here seem to be the background check. But it isn't the only issue. If one were to actually read the whole Youth Protection Plan they would see it is unworkable for most YE flights and rallys. In addition we would have to curtail many other programs. Finally the vetting and supervision of virtually all the volunteers at the events is onerous. Imagine at least two "supervisors" wandering around looking for any inappropriate behavior!
    Add to this the requirement for each chapter or YE pilot to keep records of each child, their parents information for at least 3 years.
    Exactly! ... more briefly stated of what I had posted #63. It is a struggle as it is many times to get enough ground support volunteers and this will now make that even more challenging. Not to mention even more structured planning and regimented "rally"... rather than enjoying a day at the airport and sharing our enjoyment of the sport of aviation, we will have to "execute" a 'airplane ride'.
    And it is still not clear to me if we are now not allowed to perform young eagle flights without being the above stated rigid environment.... and if I have a four place airplane or not, cannot take a single young eagle, but rather 'must' take someone with?

For those that have already proceeded with the training and background check.. good for you.
    Do you also have the minimum 2 other supervisors lined up and ready to support? Do you have your data base created to capture all the relevant information, in a secure data base, and have things in place to maintain the records for the allotted time? Do you have dedicated people already within your chapters that do such? Maybe you have a large chapter base and this is only a minor learning... for some smaller chapters, I can see this a significant challenge any further "rally's"...

For those who believe that this new policy isn't necessary (I'm not a fan of it and will probably not continue with the YE program because of the hassle but believe the policy is necessary), consider the following.

I am very familiar with a chapter which it turned out had a registered sex offender as a member. The chapter did not know of his status until he left the area. This person was terrific, well liked, and an excellent volunteer. He never attended YE activity, and in retrospect now we know why.

However... what if he had? And what if somebody from the public recognized him from the sex offender registry (which includes photos)?

Think about that for a minute. That concerned parent could easily have called the police, a nasty scene would have been created, and everyone would immediately have had a VERY negative opinion of the chapter and EAA in general. Even if legal action didn't ensue, the media would have had a field day plastering the chapter on their lead story and telling the world how the chapter and organization took NO precautions to ensure the children weren't interacting with a known predator. Imagine the damage that would be done, even if there was no lawsuit that would seriously damage EAA at best and easily could do worse.

Regardless of one's personal opinion as to whether or not society is overreacting and overprotecting children, the fact is that the standards are now extremely high and we all have to work within them. I work in higher education and have to take annual online training on dealing with minors even though I hardly see them unless a high school brings a group to campus.

The example I mentioned above could EASILY have happened. We had no idea of the status of the member in question.

As a wise pilot once was quoted when he physically could no longer fly the dream airplane he built just a few years before and he had to sell it, "I don't have to like reality, but I have to accept it. I must accept it."
    We can all still take kids for airplane rides as private individuals... even in the event of the worst case with the YE situation, we can still continue the mission on our own. Get busy.

Jim Cunningham
    Last edited by Turbomallard; 01-22-2016 at 08:37 PM.

Ok Jim. Let's weigh the slim possibility of your scenario against the very real loss of YE volunteers and pilots. Cost/benefit analysis? Chicken Little much?
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Point View Post
    Ok Jim. Let's weigh the slim possibility of your scenario against the very real loss of YE volunteers and pilots. Cost/benefit analysis? Chicken Little much?
    Good point (pun intended). I believe that the scenario I quoted could have happened all too easily; I wouldn't call it slim. I was there. I know the individual in question.

I would guess that the consequences of implementing this policy could mean the end of the program. Having given 50+ kids rides, I would hate to see that outcome. But against the risk of the tremendous damage that could be done to the organization in general, I would have to come down on the side of having a policy to protect the organization. We can fly the kids as individuals.

All 7 YE pilots in my chapter are withdrawing from the program as of the deadline date. The chapter officers are also considering withdrawing from the EAA as well. We have a couple teen members that wouldn't be able to attend meetings under this new policy. In addition they are talking about going on their own and continuing a program like YE but outside EAA. They are not sure of the value of membership in the EAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboyron View Post
    And that helped those of us who were affected (millions) in what way?
    Please note the context of my post...someone implying that private industry would do better than the government, when, in fact, the failure was in private industry.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by wyoranch View Post
    I am sorry to ask this, but has there been an "official" explanation as to why. Again I am arriving to the party late here. I for one keep my privacy rights very well guarded, but I do ( a small small portion of me at least) see a little ( very little) bit of reasoning.
    Rick
    Post #43 was by an EAA staffer, explaining the background.

http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?...ll=1#post52872

Ron Wanttaja

It's official! Here's the first person who has got his result back from the background check.

Name:  homer-not-insane.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  23.4 KB