Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh 2021?

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    Bob, the good news you probably didn’t have COVID back in January. The virus was just being detected in December/January and all those cases were associated with air travel. Community transfer didn’t really take hold until late January/February and that started on the west coast.

Not sure I agree with your small town theory. We have a cabin in Wisconsin and the county population is just over 50k yet the number of deaths has skyrocketed to over 110. Don’t know why. Is it lack of access to medical treatment, the age demographics of the population or something else?? Just glad we closed up and headed south before things got out of control.
    Probably a byproduct on how hard COVID hit the more-populous states. All the emphasis in the first three months was how bad it was in New York, New Jersey, California, etc. It certainly was possible that those in more rural environments saw COVID as a heavy-population issue.

Combine that with rural areas being more conservative, and many people believing that wearing masks/social distancing was something only liberals did. This is basically what I think happened in North Dakota, my home state, and is probably why it currently leads the world in the number of infections vs. population size.

This is interesting. It gives a time/history of individual states' COVID rates, stepping through day-by-day since June. Each state's bar indicates its political bent.

https://dangoodspeed.com/covid/total-cases-since-june

Couple that, sadly, with less medical infrastructure in rural areas. Living in the Seattle area, I've got three major hospitals within 15 minutes of me, and massive medical resources within the county. Rural America has problems retaining medical staff (can't pay off student loans at a small country hospital) and the facilities themselves are smaller. So when it DOES hit, they can't handle it as well.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    North Dakota, my home state, and is probably why it currently leads the world in the number of infections vs. population size.
    To be fair, though, that only takes -- what, a dozen cases?

I kid, I kid!!!
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja
    North Dakota, my home state, and is probably why it currently leads the world in the number of infections vs. population size.
    To be fair, though, that only takes -- what, a dozen cases?
    And a six-pack.

Of Copenhagen. :-)

Ron "Uf Da" Wanttaja

Am I the only one here who just wants to know one way or another? It's the uncertainty that is most annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by streffpilot View Post
    Am I the only one here who just wants to know one way or another? It's the uncertainty that is most annoying.
    Come back at the end of May and we'll let you know

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Gee Ron that's kind of pessimistic. This year we knew by the beginning ​of May.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post

More like.....In August, I'll tell you what happened. I don't really expect there to be an Osh this July in all reality. Sadly.........

(and my kids are going to be more pissed than I will be)

I’m not holding my breath

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm not holding my breath either, but, I'm still making plans to go.
    Bob

I have my humble motel room safely booked and the Tram Bosses know my conducting schedule availability as always so I 'plan' on being there.... just like I 'planned' for this year. Global availability of a viable vaccine may well be key to the AirVenture decision so I have my doubts for 2021. I have NO idea if there will be sufficient doses available for all the people in the USA, let alone all who would normally travel to Wisconsin from the rest of the globe.
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 12-02-2020 at 07:39 AM.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln