Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stop forums during airshows

Stop forums during airshows

Hey Jack Pelton!
    we can’t hear the speakers at the forums with the air show noise going on. How about stopping the forums for a couple of hours?

Quote Originally Posted by Md11pilot View Post
    Hey Jack Pelton!
    we can’t hear the speakers at the forums with the air show noise going on. How about stopping the forums for a couple of hours?
    How about a shorter airshow?

BJC

Quote Originally Posted by Md11pilot View Post
    Hey Jack Pelton!
    I’ll second this request. The daily air shows have little appeal to us. The only time we even go anymore is when something unique is flying. I mean how many Lomcovaks do you need to see? Plus the airshow narration is simply awful. The last time we went was the Mars flying boat and its water drop demo. Otherwise the forums draw our interest now.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

I’m with ya on the airshow length and narration. Pretty tired of being subjected to the afterburner noise too.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    I’m with ya on the airshow length and narration. Pretty tired of being subjected to the afterburner noise too.
    I haven't watched the airshow in years, save for the occasional unique act. BUT, the airshows are popular with kids and with townies from Madison, Milwaukee, Chicago, etc. so they increase attendance and revenue. They aren't going away. I try to pick forums that happen before the show starts, then spend the time during the show either talking with vendors or sitting in the shade somewhere socializing or reading.

I do wish the EAA would make one day the "silent airshow" day. No announcers, no music, etc. Just airplane sound.

I LOVE the afterburner noise and how it thumps my chest. More please.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    I do wish the EAA would make one day the "silent airshow" day. No announcers, no music, etc. Just airplane sound.
    Make that just glider sound. The next day could be ultralight day. The day after could be hot air balloon day. Then we'll all go to seaplane base for a nap on day 4.
    Last edited by steve; 08-08-2021 at 07:27 PM.

Airplane noise happens all day every day, not just the air show. I do a forum at 4pm. No big deal, just pause for 15 seconds a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by mazdaP5 View Post
    I LOVE the afterburner noise and how it thumps my chest. More please.
    I spent 30 years at the large aerospace manufacturer in Ft Worth TX. Right next to the runway at Carswell AfB / NASFWJRB.

When something took off under full afterburner, I and most others would just stop, turn, and watch. Love how some of them would thump the chest just like when you’re firing a .357 magnum. I know exactly what you’re saying.

In the late 80’s they were adding a basement to the large office building, so a few 100 of us were in portable buildings in the parking lot. You could always tell by the sound profile if a departing F-16 was about to begin air show demo mode. You’d hear calls of “Airshow Practice” and we’d all file out to watch. Loved those days.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

My kids love the air show and I think a lot of townies come in just for the show. I personally would like to go to more forums but get outvoted by the kids. I do recall more than once the speaker just can’t be heard over the sound of say the aeroshell team. At the end of they day, we all got to get along. No way, I would argue for less airshow.

I do wonder though if there couldn’t be some solutions. Eaa is a volunteer run organization and they seem to let folks run with ideas. I wonder if some sponsor could be enticed to enclose some of the pavilions and add ac. That could help.

I have also made this suggestion a number of times to eaa folks but nothing seems to happen. Why not tape the forums? Eaa communications hires college kids for airventure, and they do a good job of producing content for the radio, paper, and webpage. Hire a team of college kids to tape and edit the forums. They could stream it live and store it for viewing later. I think they could charge for access to this content.

Even though I am on the grounds, I would buy access to this content. And, it has happened more than once. What I want to see is 3 trams away and my kids are screaming for lunch and their feet hurt. It would be nice to plop the, under a tree and listen to a forum. Or, the two things I wanted to hear are at the same time at opposite ends of the field. And what about the theater in the woods stuff. This years content seems a little bland to me but in past years they have had some pretty cool shows.

Secondly if they offered something like this for sale I think it would be great for folks that can’t attend. They had a page on the eaa site listed as forums videos but I never saw anything streaming. Would have been nice if they would have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk