Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: New tram routes announced

Yeah! But the flight line isn't air conditioned and Friar Tucks is...!!!!
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    I'd also lay blame on making it a point of emphasis to draw in non-eaa visitors. I understand why EAA does that, but there were bound to be consequences.
    The EAA has been drawing non-"flying" (I won't even limit it to non-EAA) visitors for over 20 years. I remember back in the 90's when to get to the "flight line" you needed to be an EAA or other qualified member. Even then that wasn't a good filter on the dolts who would do stupid things.
    I didn't see the really bad rowdiness until the cafes started selling beer.

On the other hand, many of the things I've pressed for over the years have been adopted (probably not because I suggested them). You can gripe about golf carts now, but it is way improved over what it used to be with not only carts but CARS plowing through show center. This tram move is likely to be a disaster for this year, but it will end up being fixed in the long run. Oddly enough between Pelton's office and the heads of Vintage, Warbirds, and IAA, EAA management is pretty responsive and caring. A couple years back when we had a bit of turmoil going on down south I got emails from Pelton and personal phone calls from Connie Bowlin (head of Warbirds) and Michael Goulian (head of IAA) in response to emails sent to tehm.

Friar Tucks allows smoking and if pretty much imc just to walk through there.

As for a having to be member to go on the flight line, I don't recall that. It may have been so, but I don't know how they checked it? I have been coming since 1982. I just recall the flight line being open to visitors in the morning and then about half hour before the airshow, a line was put out so the planes were on the runway side and that was now closed. I went to fly in the show one time and had an argument with a very young CAP cadet who told me I couldn't be near the plane. I finally just got in the plane and I didn't hear any more about it. Annoying, but just a small thing.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 03-10-2020 at 11:00 PM.

There was a time when the flight line was only open to members. Don’t remember when that changed. EAA was still pretty small. Suspect it was done to bolster membership. Not sure it was too successful. Folks would pony up the bucks for membership for the access but renewals were not there. Now we have the two tier rate system with no limitations.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Maybe it depends on the time of day. We eaten there the past 5 years (typically around 5-6pm) and we didn't have any issues with smoke at all, even in the bar.
    Last edited by Auburntsts; 03-11-2020 at 06:43 AM.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    Maybe it depends on the time of day. We eaten there the past 5 years (typically around 5-6pm) and we didn't have any issues with smoke at all, even in the bar.
    Smoking is ILLEGAL in ALL public buildings, restaurants and bars included and has been for at least 5 years, if not more.

Quote Originally Posted by krw920 View Post
    Smoking is ILLEGAL in ALL public buildings, restaurants and bars included and has been for at least 5 years, if not more.
    Well that explains why we didn't have any smoke issues. Here in Florida, smoking is banned in restaurants but not stand-alone bars.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post

As for a having to be member to go on the flight line, I don't recall that. It may have been so, but I don't know how they checked it? I have been coming since 1982. I just recall the flight line being open to visitors in the morning and then about half hour before the airshow, a line was put out so the planes were on the runway side and that was now closed. I went to fly in the show one time and had an argument with a very young CAP cadet who told me I couldn't be near the plane. I finally just got in the plane and I didn't hear any more about it. Annoying, but just a small thing.
    It changed in the mid-90's. There used to be a short fence that was in line with the "Brown Arch" from Warbirds down to about where Vintage (Antique/Classic back then) and then it turned right across the road. To get through that fence you needed "flight line" credentials and to buy those you had to show some membership (EAA, AOPA, a pilot's license, something...). Didn't much help things actually other than keeping most of the walk-in lawn chairs back a bit.

WOW! No more Green trams. How are the handicap going to get to to the EAA Aviation Museum? Walk from the end of the yellow route to the Bus Park drop off to get to the museum. The green route was used by how much traffic last year? Why eliminate a popular route?

I for one in my 25 year life have been using the Vintage Area stop for many occasions (easy access to Boeing Plaza, easy access to the Vintage Area and easy access to the airshow center that is straight out from the Vintage Barn). These are big mistakes that EAA did by eliminating this route and stops.

Smoking might in theory be illegal INSIDE Friar Tucks, but just outside on the patio is a swarm of smokers and when customers or waitresses open the door it goes inside. I haven't been there in a few years,but I doubt if they have changed.
    I was recently in Turkey, all the hotels say that they don't allow smoking. But the managers stand literly in the doorway to the office or lobby with the door open and smoke. I didn't seen any adult male there who was not smoking.
    We have a state law here against animals inside restaurants, even on patios. It is widely ignored, some places even have bowls of water for dogs.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 03-11-2020 at 11:56 AM.