Thread: IMC Club Scenarios

IMC Club Scenarios

Do ant other IMC Club Coordinators feel that the IFR scenario content has little to do with flying the real world IFR? I've been a coordinator since before the EAA took over the IMC Clubs. The many of the scenarios in the last couple of years require little thought and ADM. I've actually had to create extra content to promote more discussion.
    Titles like - Door Ajar, Unstable RPM, Shaky Flight and Cutlass Gear Issue and not conducive to much group discussion.
    Even the Questions of the Month are not relative specifics about flying IFR!

Latest Question of the Month....

Question: "How much does a change in aircraft weight affect stall speed? For example, if an aircraft witha maximum gross weight of 2,000 pounds stalls at 50 knots, how much would stall speed change (and in
    what direction) if it were at an actual weight of 1,800 pounds?"

Where does this fit into learning and discussion about flying IFR? This would be a better to[pic for the VMC club!
    Frustrated CFII

Quote Originally Posted by SkyFlyerPilot View Post
    Do ant other IMC Club Coordinators feel that the IFR scenario content has little to do with flying the real world IFR? I've been a coordinator since before the EAA took over the IMC Clubs. The many of the scenarios in the last couple of years require little thought and ADM. I've actually had to create extra content to promote more discussion.
    Titles like - Door Ajar, Unstable RPM, Shaky Flight and Cutlass Gear Issue and not conducive to much group discussion.
    Even the Questions of the Month are not relative specifics about flying IFR!

Latest Question of the Month....

Question: "How much does a change in aircraft weight affect stall speed? For example, if an aircraft witha maximum gross weight of 2,000 pounds stalls at 50 knots, how much would stall speed change (and in
    what direction) if it were at an actual weight of 1,800 pounds?"

Where does this fit into learning and discussion about flying IFR? This would be a better to[pic for the VMC club!
    Frustrated CFII
    IMO you'd better off rolling your own discussion off of IFR Magazine topics, PilotWorkshop IFR scenarios, or even the Opposing Bases Podcast show topics.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

I agree, but I usually always pick a scenario that gives opens the door to discuss related items to review with supplemental information. If I just stuck to scenario topic material there may be little to discuss. But the better ones have lots things to discuss on what led to the pilots predicament and that comes back to the ADM exercised before they got into trouble. It always takes quite a bit of preparation work to build up a scenario IMO.

What I really miss though is that Radek always used to be able to provide the "rest of the story". Sometimes you don't really care what option the pilot may have chosen but often it would be really nice to know what what have cause the issue or what the pilot actually did.

Paul Kortopates
    Master CFI-I, A&P/IA