Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GA Camping '24 - hints/advice

PM sent
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

What kind of plane are you flying? Will space or weight be a concern?
    Are you planning on eating out? or cooking at your plane?

I've stayed in the N40 four times since 2018. I'd say you have a 50-50 chance of getting into the N40. As others have said, if you end up in the S40, you may have to take shuttles, but you'll have access to everything you'll need.

Choosing the best tent is always difficult. Everyone will have different opinions. You will have at least one thunderstorm with high winds. Smaller tents do better in high winds, but it's nice to be able to stand up inside your tent. You should get a decent tent with a full rainfly. Throw out whatever stakes come with the tent and replace them with stakes that screw into the ground and will hold in high winds. Make sure you use every stake and guy rope and make sure your cot will fit inside the tent without touching the side walls. Adding an air mattress on top of the cot will make it even more comfortable.

Even if you don't plan on cooking at your site, bring a cooler. Ice is easy to get at the stores in the N40 and S40. It's nice to have snacks and cold drinks at your campsite. Adult beverages have never been an issue. You can take the Target bus and walk over to the supermarket next to Target to stock up on supplies for the week.

There are plenty of activities for you both. There are forums geared towards women, activities at the museum, different things going on at the ultra-light field each night to list only a few things. There are people in the N40 and S40 from all over the world and it's great to chat with them.

You'll want to be able to charge your phones and any other devices. I've used a small charging block and a solar panel.

It's looking like if I get to fly in, we'll be in a Cessna 206. At the moment, there are only 3 of us, so I'm thinking neither space nor weight will be a concern!

The plan is to try to keep some costs down by eating at least half of our meals at the campsite, but I may drop that to 1/3. I plan to pre-prep a lot of meals before we leave (e.g. precooked pasta) so I am mostly heating things up. I have a vacuum sealer, so I might even just make meals, vacuum seal them, and potentially boil them in the bag to heat them up. Makes cleanup a lot easier!

I'm going to go over plans with my friend and see what we can do to get to OSH as early as possible on Sunday, because the more I look at it, the less I want to be reliant on trams or buses or shuttles in the S40. In the past, I always walked because by the time something came by, it was already full and you had to either wait longer or just give up and walk anyway. If we do get N40, though, I am still going to head down to the S40 to check it out so I can be aware for future trips. I've some (other) friends that may be in Sleepy Hollow next year, so I'd like to check that out.

daniel
    Daniel Lane
    PP ASEL (IA)
    EAA Chapter 1114

Quote Originally Posted by Gomeral View Post
    It's looking like if I get to fly in, we'll be in a Cessna 206. At the moment, there are only 3 of us, so I'm thinking neither space nor weight will be a concern!

The plan is to try to keep some costs down by eating at least half of our meals at the campsite, but I may drop that to 1/3. I plan to pre-prep a lot of meals before we leave (e.g. precooked pasta) so I am mostly heating things up. I have a vacuum sealer, so I might even just make meals, vacuum seal them, and potentially boil them in the bag to heat them up. Makes cleanup a lot easier!

I'm going to go over plans with my friend and see what we can do to get to OSH as early as possible on Sunday, because the more I look at it, the less I want to be reliant on trams or buses or shuttles in the S40. In the past, I always walked because by the time something came by, it was already full and you had to either wait longer or just give up and walk anyway. If we do get N40, though, I am still going to head down to the S40 to check it out so I can be aware for future trips. I've some (other) friends that may be in Sleepy Hollow next year, so I'd like to check that out.

daniel
    We stay in a rented RV in Sleepy Hollow. You’re more than welcome to swing by and we can give you the nickel tour.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

The supermarket next to Target is Pic n' Save, a division of Kroger, so if you're in the Kroger system at home you'll accumulate points. They have an excellent beer selection. I always bring a case of Spotted Cow home along with a case of Phillips XC.
    If you do end up in the N40, hopefully it will be near the big new (13-ish years old) shower house up by the warbirds.

The earlier you get there the better. Likely if you arrive anytime on Sunday, you'll be in the South 40. I believe that the North 40 is typically filled up on Saturday. At best, you'll be on the far side of 9/27 and have to take the N40 shuttle. I highly recommend arriving on Saturday if you want the North 40.

There are some great restaurants walking distance from the N40. Friar Tuck's is right on the edge of the field, The Mineshaft is across the street, and I highly recommend West End Pizza. Uber or Lyft is easily accessible and there are some really good pubs in town. I typically have lunch on the grounds and breakfast is something small at the campsite.

Quote Originally Posted by Pnancoz View Post
    The earlier you get there the better. Likely if you arrive anytime on Sunday, you'll be in the South 40. I believe that the North 40 is typically filled up on Saturday. At best, you'll be on the far side of 9/27 and have to take the N40 shuttle. I highly recommend arriving on Saturday if you want the North 40.
    I'm crossing my fingers that we hit the "at best" scenario - I'm trying to see if we can head out earlier, but since my friend is the one who has a fixed schedule and his lodgings don't start until Sunday, I think we're kinda stuck. Perhaps at best we can stay overnight close(ish) to OSH so we arrive early Sunday, but the plan right now is to depart NC sometime o-dark-thirty on Sunday for a long day of flying. (Part of this is access to the aircraft, too.) Time to spare, go by air!

daniel
    Last edited by Gomeral; 06-04-2024 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Poor choice of words...
    Daniel Lane
    PP ASEL (IA)
    EAA Chapter 1114

S40 vs N40

Quote Originally Posted by Gomeral View Post

daniel
    Daniel, just my opinion but I would not gnash my teeth about getting put in the South 40. It has been suggested that the N40 will free you of trams and shuttles. Thanks to Google Earth, here are the details. From the north extreme of the N 40, about where the hole in the fence is, it is about 10,000 lf to the Tower. From the southernmost extreme of the S 40, it is 9,300 lf to the tower. Trust me, you will either walk or use the trams at least some of the time. The S 40 is greatly improved from the stubble field it was when first created. I parked airplanes down there and thought to myself...."poor devils" (to have sleep on that stuff). It has gotten better each year. Now, let it be said that if you crave the goods and services only available thru that hole in the north fence, then your way is clear. Know this, however, you will have the best time ever, where ever you end up...
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    President EAA Chapter 821
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

Last year my 13 YO daughter flew with me to her first Airventure and had an awesome time. I should mention she is airplane-crazed, thanks to me! She never got bored, just tired. We made a game of seeing just how many free pens and pencils we could amass. The vendors are very kind to kids who can speak airplane. She really liked the youth activities that included riveting, safety wiring and simulator flying. We did a lot.

Flying in early Friday morning got us close to the warbird entrance in the N40. We put up our tent but did hotel it for the first 3 nights, sort of a hybrid housing situation. My daughter had her own smaller tent to sleep in and that worked out great for both of us. It was fun watching all the green dot arrivals over the weekend.

Donuts, coffee and juice for breakfast from Red One Market. At the market we bought ice and cold bottles of lemonade. We patronized the on-site Subway for lunch finding it very good and affordable. Dinner was early offsite at Mineshaft, Friar Tucks or Supermarket-sourced salads and cheese curds! We never did actually cook.

Looks like I now have a 14 year old that can’t wait to go again.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Rogerthat View Post
    Last year my 13 YO daughter flew with me to her first Airventure and had an awesome time. I should mention she is airplane-crazed, thanks to me! She never got bored, just tired. We made a game of seeing just how many free pens and pencils we could amass. The vendors are very kind to kids who can speak airplane. She really liked the youth activities that included riveting, safety wiring and simulator flying. We did a lot.
    Thanks, Roger. Mine is a bit airplane-crazed on her own, and I do everything I can to pour gasoline on that fire! I need to look for some of those activities to see if I need to register her in advance for them like the AviationTech program (which I'm checking daily). Good idea on the pens and pencils, and I'm hopeful we can find a lot of stickers for her. I already bought her a hat and she has a pin for this year, so we're starting that, as well!

My friend and I have revisited our options and have decided to head out early SATURDAY morning to try to get up there late that afternoon, so hopefully a better shot at N40. While I understand that the tower is potentially closer to the S40 (thank you, Larry!), I'm hoping to be close to the gate and to Friar Tuck's, etc. so it's not a huge event to get the teenager off site for food or a break. One way or the other, though, I'm sure it'll be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogerthat View Post
    Looks like I now have a 14 year old that can’t wait to go again.
    Well, mine is 13 and will be 14 at the end of the summer, maybe we can connect up there if you're going again this year and they can each make a new friend!

daniel
    Daniel Lane
    PP ASEL (IA)
    EAA Chapter 1114