Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
The Soarmaster is a basic system. Any two cycle repair knowledge should get the engine running. Extension shaft may need a new bearing or flex coupling if it even has one. Again should not be much of a problem.

I have not had a Soarmaster so am not the person you are seeking but I will say forget the old Rogallo and pare it with a modern hang glider. Keep the old wing for the type of flying it was intended for. My understanding is the Soarmaster/Rogallo had some safety issues. Probably a good thing you quit when you did. Even with a new wing be careful out there and understand tumbles and power pushovers. It is nice to see some of those old systems come back to life when done safely.

I had a twin-engine Soarmaster system on a Vector 600 in 1982. It had 2 West Bend engines with centrifugal clutches & chain drive in an oil bath sump that mounted the drive shaft. The prop on that system used 2 metal blades bolted to an Aluminum hub. The entire set up seemed bush league to me so I took it off a put it on a powered ice boat. Shortly thereafter, the prop threw a blade which miraculously didn't kill anyone. The bad part is that the new system I replaced it with on the Vector had a torsional drive shaft failure & I broke my back in the crash. Drive shafts (with a single cyl. engine pumping against a prop) are always a bad idea. This is especially true if there is no torsional dampener & the sprocket or pulley just has a bolt thru the shaft.