Good info, Bruce! I've just completed an ADS-B install in my Legacy; it's Experimental and non-aerobatic, but I've learned a lot in the process. I got a couple of red-boxed FAA reports, and after some consultation with the manufacturer (uAvionix), I got a clean report, but an annual inspection got in the way. Hopefully I'll have the annual done today and some good enough wx over the weekend to make an "official" flight. The uAvionix unit is a UAT with its own GPS and ground link antenna.

My Extra has two GPS's, a Garmin 420 WAAS, and a Garmin 250XL non-WAAS. Both lose the satellites during aerobatics, but it takes the WAAS unit several minutes (say, 4 to 8 minutes) to lock back on. Do you know if it's GPS loss that's the problem, or is it loss of the ADS-B link to the ground towers? There are "diversity" options available for, say, the L3 Lynx transponder/WAAS GPS/ADS-B, which places another antenna on top of the plane. I'm wondering if that would help, despite its considerably higher price.

Doug Sowder