Quote Originally Posted by L16 Pilot View Post
When I was away from home I thought I would check out renting an aircraft in Texas until I found out the rental cost was over $100 per hour not to mention the check ride and renters insurance. Besides that the FBO was not especially friendly so it was a short conversation.
These two things were contributing factors for me as well. The FBO I talked to did their best to keep people away. Once I started training, I started looking at what it would actually cost me to use a rented airplane for what I really wanted, which was cross country travel with my sweetie and a couple of bags. The cost for anything other than a couple hours for a local burger run was staggering. As in, I could fly us both round trip on an airline, AND pay for a really nice hotel and rental car, for just the rental fee if we were going to go somewhere and stay a few days.

That got me looking at buying, which got me looking into building. Most people would have gotten discouraged and wandered off to play golf or buy a boat, but I tend to get stubborn.