Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HBC Questions

Cary,
    I just saw that I had a typo in my original post. We are planning to be there from mid afternoon Saturday to Thursday morning.

Shannon, thanks for asking and everyone else, thanks for answering. My wife and I went in 2014 and stayed in Appleton. As you said, I feel like we missed a lot. By the end of the day we were wiped out and still had to hoof it back to the car and drive nearly an hour to the hotel.

Last year I went with a buddy and we stayed in the UW dorms. That was better, but of course there's still the "gotta go catch a bus" factor.

This year I'm planning to fly in and stay in HBC for a couple of days. I'm really looking forward to not feeling rushed and being able to enjoy the whole experience. Having not camped since my 30-something-year-old son was in middle school, we'll see how that works out.

The very first Oshkosh I went to was for three days in 1992. Clearly too short. I've been arriving earlier and earlier ever since. I typically will arrive the Wednesday the week before. I leave the Monday after the show.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    The very first Oshkosh I went to was for three days in 1992. Clearly too short. I've been arriving earlier and earlier ever since. I typically will arrive the Wednesday the week before. I leave the Monday after the show.
    Last year I arrived on Friday afternoon and was truly surprised at how many were already there. I was parked in a row that is only a couple rows east of the new shower facility, because everything east of there was already full. No complaints--it was a great place, and I ended up with really nice neighbors and made new friends, like always.

I was one of the very last to leave on Monday, sometime after noon so that I actually had to call ground control and tower like a "real" airport. "Oshkosh ground, Cessna xxx, on the grass south of 9-27, ready to taxi for departure."

All good fun. I plan to do things similarly this coming summer.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Yep, I arrive before the NOTAM turns on and depart after it. Oshkosh is a nice friendly airport outside of the show. I do come and go a dozen times between heading up to Brennand or Clintonville for showers or off to Shawano or just giving rides. I alternate between the Ripon and Warbird arrivals depending on whether my passengers have done one of the other before usually.