Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Smoking at Airventure,

nonsense
    States visited with my Piper Challenger

Glad to see we're finally in agreement!
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Nonsense
    States visited with my Piper Challenger

Frank, "its a political issue" of "self rightousness"?

Is it the American Democratic way to smoke no matter the people around you or the damage to yourself? Well, it may have been back in the 50"s when you had movie stars like Bogart with cigarettes in many scenes or the outdoorsy image of the Malboro man, but not anymore and perhaps because Bogey died of throat cancer in his 50s and the other guy also of cancer. Even back then, it seems less than half the people were smokers. In 2014, most people know better, and least in the U S, and smoking is definitely not the American way, in fact it really is the Communist Chinese way. No joke, in China approxmately 350 million people smoke, it seems a manly thing to do , but now they are starting the see the harmful affects and beginning to have regulations.

Yes, most smoking at Oshkosh is outdoors in limited areas where it has less impact on most of the public. Most EAA members have some level of politeness, and we can live with it as in the past. But 2nd hand smoke is listed as as a carcinogen, and I don't want to be breathing it especially around the eating areas.
    Frank, the Superbowl is an open air event, but the NFL has banned smoking there also.

And yes, the image we set for teenagers and kids is important, and as a parent and an EAA member I'd like our organization to be on the healthy side of this issue.

By the way, on Yahoo this morning there is a whole section about quiting smoking, for those who are trying. I have never been a smoker, tried one as a kid and it tastes awful. If donuts tasted like cigarettes I'd be thinner. So while I can't see how someone can enjoy that taste and even more the awful smell that gets in your clothes, car, house., I have read the nicotine is one of the most addictive drugs and it may take a number of attempts to break the habit.
    The thing is to not have people stating smoking while they are young.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 01-27-2014 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    I have read the nicotine is one of the most addictive drugs and it may take a number of attempts to break the habit.
    Well, flying is also addictive but as we used to say, there's worse things to be addicted to.

I've only been an EAA member for a few short months, and only a local chapter member for a few weeks. I have been reading all I can on the website, as well as, this forum in an attempt to learn the EAA and the membership. For the most part I surely have been made to feel welcome. A place I could go to escape from the daily drag of our country going upside down, and somewhat hide in the glory and love of aviation. Reading all I could, I then tripped into this thread. I wish I hadn't, but I suppose, like everything else....it is what it is. I'm feeling more and more, I will not be welcome because I don't fit the moral standard, lifestyle standard and certainly not the education standard as the OP has stated.

As unfortunate as it is I have read some of this thread, it most certainly will prove a mistake to make this post. But.....it is what it is, and I would rather find out sooner rather than later, perhaps I just don't fit in this crowd. It does seem to be getting stuffy in this thread. Just an opinion and will most likely be one of those times I should keep my mouth shut! Everyone certainly has a right to their opinions.

Best Regards.......George
    Last edited by Eagle Six; 01-27-2014 at 02:40 PM.

George I hope you stick around here.
    On rare occasions someone says something that should be left at the door because certain subjects divide this country rather than bring us together. Forget those few posts and remember what we're here for, we all have a love of aviation in it's many different aspects.
    Stay for the common interest in flying.

I wouldn't take this thread too seriously, George. Seems some of these guys are more concerned about proving themselves to be masterdebaters, as opposed to the actual topic that's chosen. There are parallels with a similar word....they enjoy it and they don't much bother anyone else. :-)

Welcome aboard!

Jim
    EAA 64315 (joined 1/1/71)

PS-- Watch this, George....high wing vs. low wing....come on guys! :-)
    Last edited by Jim Rosenow; 01-27-2014 at 07:25 PM. Reason: fat fingers

George, if you come to Oshkosh and like airplanes you should enjoy it, and if the airplanes are not enough for you, then there is a bar/restaurant right outside the north gate. While Wisconsin state law, like that of most states,even Arizona, prohibits indoor smoking, they have an outdoor patio where you can revel in a lot of smoke and smokers.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 01-27-2014 at 10:27 PM.

Wow, that was both condescending AND inconsiderate. So we can pretty much sum this debate up as "If you're a smoker; come for the airplanes then GTFO"