Thread: The average person

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Downs View Post
    I discovered ultralights not long ago and for the cost of a late model used motorcycle you can find a good pre-built ultralight that can serve your needs well. You can't count the hours towards anything but at least you get to fly and for "cheap".
    Build the ultralight and register it as E-AB. Then you can fly it as a sport pilot and log the hours towards other certificates.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Meanwhile they just spent $40K on a brand new Toyota SUV.
    Life is full of choices and everyone gets to make their own. Yes, this person could have bought the same SUV used and saved at least $10,000 which would have gone a long way towards the purchase price of an aircraft, but everyone has different priorities.

It is what it is. There are few people willing to give up everything they enjoy doing for the joy of flying. While I enjoy flying immensely I wouldn't give up other aspects of my life to do it. MAYBE if I could fly to the grocery store, work, movies, lots of campsites ect I might consider it but the way aviation has been structured it will not allow such things to happen.
    It's a personal choice. You can't have everything in life, so pick what's most important and forget the rest. Come back to it when you're able. Enjoy what you've chosen and make the best of it.

Ultralights can help, but they still cost money and use time. Try not eating out, drinking less, not going to the movies, use a dumb phone instead of a smart one, don't buy extra TV channels, use lower speed internet, don't buy a $2,000 TV, etc. All the small things add up.

A large percentage of people (at least in the US) can afford flying if they really want it, but most don't want it enough.
    Last edited by skier; 09-12-2013 at 10:39 AM.

I'd also like to point out that right now there are a handful of planes on Barnstormers for under $10,000 including a Fisher 404, Fisher Horizon, Smith Miniplane, Quicksilver, Titan Tornado, Baby Ace, Himax, Teenie Two, etc.

There's also always the option of a partial ownership. You could buy a Cessna 150 for $20,000 and sell 3 shares for $5,000 each. Store it at a tie down for (around here) $110/month ($28/person/month), with an annual for $1,000-$2,000. Thats ~$600 /person/year fixed cost + insurance ($800?) + fuel (5 gal/hr @ $7/gal).

For $3,000 / year you can fly 45 hrs. Between 4 people, even an engine replacement approaches reasonable ~$15,000 - 20,000 = $3,750 - $5,000 per person.
    Last edited by skier; 09-12-2013 at 10:58 AM.

Lots of good responses here. Something else that was brought to my attention today as a reason people aren't learning to fly-fear of failure and/or lack of confidence. I hear that, along with the cost issue as being the biggest reasons. However, I find lots of people would fly, but since they doubt their ability, they buy expensive cars instead. Lets face it, nearly everybody drives so buying the car is easier than the discipline needed to fly.

true but . . .

Quote Originally Posted by skier View Post
    I'd also like to point out that right now there are a handful of planes on Barnstormers for under $10,000 including a Fisher 404, Fisher Horizon, Smith Miniplane, Quicksilver, Titan Tornado, Baby Ace, Himax, Teenie Two, etc.

There's also always the option of a partial ownership. You could buy a Cessna 150 for $20,000 and sell 3 shares for $5,000 each. Store it at a tie down for (around here) $110/month ($28/person/month), with an annual for $1,000-$2,000. Thats ~$600 /person/year fixed cost + insurance ($800?) + fuel (5 gal/hr @ $7/gal).

For $3,000 / year you can fly 45 hrs. Between 4 people, even an engine replacement approaches reasonable ~$15,000 - 20,000 = $3,750 - $5,000 per person.

While I agree this makes it easier to own and fly. The problem then comes down to who gets to fly it and when. If I'm tight for cash, I'm probably a working Joe. This means weekends only. Then I have 3 other guys to schedule around (not to mention other family things on weekends). Owning my own motorcycle is far more attainable and usable. Yes I need a special license, so what. With a plane I need to BFR every couple of years plus medicals. Yes these cost are actually not that much but everything adds up. Plus aircraft also required thing that many other hobbies do not. Again expenses. Seriously, add up a weekend going off-roading vs flying off for the $100 burger.

That all said - if there's a will, there's a way

Aircraft are also very limited use items for most people. While I can fit about a week or two worth of groceries on my motorcycle and haul them straight to my front door I can't accomplish such a task with an airplane unless I live on an airfield and I happen to find a grocery store close to another airport.

Aircraft are toys even more so than a motorcycle and I manage to use a motorcycle as my only form of transportation besides the Hurricane.

Aircraft are toys even more so than a motorcycle and I manage to use a motorcycle as my only form of transportation besides the Hurricane.

Years ago my wife then, my x now, told me I was riding my motorcycle for transportation. I told her it would kill me for now I am riding to get from point a to point b. That is just what happened too. I divorced the Bit##

Back to subject at hand, I just wanted to share that.

I don't get it. That sentence didn't make any sense to me.

I was married for a few years. Never again.

I don't get it. That sentence didn't make any sense to me.

I was married for a few years. Never again.
    It read sort of like a "TMI" moment to me.

Quote Originally Posted by skier View Post
    A large percentage of people (at least in the US) can afford flying if they really want it, but most don't want it enough.
    This is completely true, even though we often hear 'cost' is one of the major inhibitors to more people flying. In reality, it's not.

EAA Staff / Moderator Timm Bogenhagen's Avatar
    Ultralight and other light N-number aircraft are a great way to own and fly at minimal expense, and maximum fun. Like has already been said, www.barnstormers.com has alot of planes for under $10,000. Just do it
    Have Fun & Fly Safe!
    Timm
    EAA 379292
    MiniMAX 1600R
    Challenger II
    HiMAX - in progress