Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: National Park Service takes over Pearson Air Museum

Pilawt, What can we do to help? Most of us do not live in Washington but would like to make a contribution to the cause. Any ideas? I have been reading alot about the museum and it seems that park ranger lady is behind alot of this.

Quote Originally Posted by RV8505 View Post
    What can we do to help?
    GET OUT AND SUPPORT YOUR NEAREST AVIATION MUSEUM! It won't necessarily help Pearson, but there are fabulous small air museums all over the country that are struggling. Visit them! Drop some money in their donation box! Volunteer some of your time! The large famous aviation museums struggle and many of the smaller ones operate from one day to the next on a frayed shoestring. The economy is tough on everyone right now and we are losing many of these jewels rapidly.

My local museum is the Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum. See http://www.airandspacemuseum.org/ It has many one-of-a-kind early space artifacts, a great library, and interesting aviation exhibits. It gets youth involved with hands-on educational activities. It's housed in one of only 5 (I think) remaining original Curtiss-Wright hangars and Charles Lindbergh, Amelia Earhart, Charles Doolittle, and many other early aviation pioneers walked its halls. It's a real treasure!

The average age of museum volunteers everywhere are grey-headed geezers. Revenue streams are a trickle. If we want our museums to survive, we all have to get involved at every level.

Quote Originally Posted by dusterpilot View Post
    GET OUT AND SUPPORT YOUR NEAREST AVIATION MUSEUM! It won't necessarily help Pearson, but there are fabulous small air museums all over the country that are struggling. Visit them! Drop some money in their donation box! Volunteer some of your time! The large famous aviation museums struggle and many of the smaller ones operate from one day to the next on a frayed shoestring. The economy is tough on everyone right now and we are losing many of these jewels rapidly.

My local museum is the Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum. See http://www.airandspacemuseum.org/ It has many one-of-a-kind early space artifacts, a great library, and interesting aviation exhibits. It gets youth involved with hands-on educational activities. It's housed in one of only 5 (I think) remaining original Curtiss-Wright hangars and Charles Lindbergh, Amelia Earhart, Charles Doolittle, and many other early aviation pioneers walked its halls. It's a real treasure!

The average age of museum volunteers everywhere are grey-headed geezers. Revenue streams are a trickle. If we want our museums to survive, we all have to get involved at every level.
    Been there doing that but what in particular to help Pearson Air museum? Anyway, I.M.H.O Sometimes it is the grey headed cranky old guys that run people off. I have run into that situation a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by RV8505 View Post
    Pilawt, What can we do to help?
    My suggestion would be to fire off a short note to your Congressman and Senators, asking them to support Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler's proposed legislation to transfer ownership of the Pearson Air Museum and Pearson Field from NPS to the City of Vancouver. Send copies to Rep. Herrera Beutler, Senator Cantwell and Senator Murray at the addresses listed in Post #10, above.

Many thanks for your help. Check for updates on the new Facebook page for Museum supporters.

The Director of the National Park Service is Jonathan Jarvis. His office address is National Park Service, 1849 C Street NW, Washington, DC, 20240. Telephone 202-208-3818.

Do not have an e-mail address, but you might try jon_jarvis@nps.gov. That is the general formula that they use, but I do not know if I guessed correctly. Please be polite and respectful, but direct, if you use any of this info.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS
    Last edited by WLIU; 02-09-2013 at 04:31 PM.