Thread: Appearance fees

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

If you are going to fly any kind of formation in waivered airspace the FAA requires a FAST card. I don't know that they require some sore of credential for simple fly-bys, but having witnessed a wardbird mid-air at a show (both went in with explosions and fire), I would not be surprised that some sort of card is now required. The FAA requires a card for a pilot to circle a parachute jumper with a flag for instance. That said, I never was a member of the nomex flight suit crowd so what I know comes from attending pre-show briefs and talking to FAA at ICAS. I am essentially retired from that business, but from what I hear it has only gotten more regulated.

You may remember when a warbird guy only needed a Private Pilot Certificate. A number of years ago the FAA decided that getting "free" fuel or a rental car or hotel was "compensation for hire" and stopped allowing PPL pilots getting that support. Had to upgrade to a Commercial Certificate.

So if you check, you will find that all of the T-6, T-34, YAK, etc guys who do the large formation fly-overs at OSH and Sun-N-Fun have FAST cards. Heck, the L-4 guys and the Swift guys have FAST accreditated formation programs now.

I have spent a LOT more time than your average bear working with the FAA for the airshow work, field approvals, and airspace waivers. Spend too much time in FAA Order 8900.1 Flight Standards Information Management System chapters on this stuff. Welcome to my world.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS
    Last edited by WLIU; 01-11-2013 at 07:10 AM.