Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
If we can’t change the date to something more comfortable...
The 2020 cancellation presented an opportunity to do this, but it wasn't taken and likely wasn't even considered.

I attended AirVenture for two days in 2012 -- a pilgrimage of sorts -- when it was particularly hot. Wearing enough clothing not to be burned to a crisp made the heat unbearable, and my non-air-conditioned dorm room meant that I got little sleep. Apart from breakfast in the campus chow hall, the food was terrible. Frankly, it was an utterly miserable experience. I'd still like to fly my own homebuilt there one day, but I don't know if I can stand the heat, the crowds and sleeping on the ground.

Unfortunately, there aren't many better date options considering weather in Oshkosh. If you closely examine the charts here, it's clear that moving the date elsewhere on the spring-through-fall calendar could improve temps, but... Early Jun increases the chance of cloud cover and rain (Jun is, on average, the wettest month). Late Jun risks the grounds being a mud bog. Moving into Aug doesn't solve the heat problem, and earlier or later, e.g. May or Sep, would fix the daytime temps at the risk of more clouds and cold nights.

Perhaps the best compromise would be one month later: late Aug to early Sep. Better chance of lower daytime temps, still warm-to-cool at night, only slightly more cloudiness, lower chance of rain, and only a 45 min loss of daylight compared to the current dates. But, students begin moving into the UW dorms on Aug 30th (2023), so that's a non-starter.

I suggest the event be moved to western Washington. Keep the dates as-is, and you'll enjoy our glorious summer weather (as I type this at ~11:30am it's 70° and 55% humidity), no thunderstorms or high wind, and the food vendors will have salmon burgers. Win-win-win!