Like many EAA members, I have a desire to one day fly a plane that I have brought to life. By default, I always assumed that this would come to fruition in the form a kit-built aircraft like an RV, Whitman Tailwind or a Kitfox.

But browsing Barnstormers yesterday, I came across a Mooney airframe without engine or avionics for $8500. I have no intention of buying that plane (I want to focus on flying for now), but it did get me thinking about restoring a plane rather than starting from scratch. The appeal of EAB is not needing to work with an A&P to do the repairs needed, but talking to some more experienced EAA members suggested that finding an A&P to supervise may not be difficult.

I feel like the value of the end result is also something worth comparing. With the EAB you get a repairman certificate and never need to have someone else touch your plane unless you want them to, but the end result is worth less than the cost of the parts (often before you even add in labor). With a certificated plane, there seems a clear appreciation from project to finish that seems to at least parallel the cost of the inputs, but you will still need to hire out annuals and perform repairs under an A&P's supervision, even after being so involved in the restoration.

What are your thoughts? What are the advantages and disadvantages of building vs restoring?