Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
I have to disagree. We have lots of grass strips up here that the FAA and the state has no knowledge of. It can be a zoning issue, but out in the rural areas there is no zoning. A guy just clears, grades out enough clear space, and lands his or her airplane. Not a big deal. Out in WY, I noticed that away from the towns, which is most of the state, some folks just land on the county road and taxi onto their front lawns. The roads are long and straight and you can see coming traffic miles away.

Don't assume that my neighborhood is the same as yours.

Best of luck,

Wes
N78PS
I am a lifer here in WY and I have never seen that. I do know you can access BLM land, and that Montana does allow it in certain circumstances. I am about as remote as a human can be, the smallest ranch nearby, discounting town ( if you can call it that) is in the neighborhood of 15000 acres. Anyone who operates aircraft around me runs them off private strips or the public airports. I have never heard of anyone mentioning using public roadways. Of course my county has three sheriffs and a couple of highway patrolmen and is larger that the state of RI, so it may be just a case of no harm no foul if it does occur. Honestly I can't see why you couldn't do it safely as you are correct the highway outside my spread has a section that is ARROW straight and flat for 16 miles, 4 lanes and baby butt smooth, no power lines anywhere in sight. ( ok now I am going to have to investigate this lol I will keep you advised)
Rick