Thread: Fiberglass layup

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Fiberglass layup

Although I'm quite experienced in aluminum construction (Zenith STOL 750), I have absolutely zero experience with fiberglass! I've decided to do a (hopefully) simple fiberglass project by making some elevator wingtips. I've already made a hot wire cutter and cut foam cores from EPS:

I plan to sand and radius the outboard end (obviously not done yet in the picture!), but still leave the vertical surface mostly flat. I have on-hand a West System kit and some bidirectional cloth.

My question is this:

My assumption is that I'll need to cut a piece of cloth to cover the flat, vertical outboard end of the tip, and cut a separate piece of cloth to wrap around the top and bottom of the tip. IF this is correct, do I trim the vertical piece with a slight overhang and then smooth it down around the radiused edge, and then do the same for the piece wrapping around the top and bottom (in other words, let the overlap occur over the radiused edge)? OR, should the overlap be placed on the vertical or horizontal surface (rather than the radiused edge), OR, should I do something completely different?

John
    N750A
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jaustinmd; 02-19-2015 at 02:49 PM.