I have just lost another friend in a flying accident. Yesterday, I flew from Aspen to Boulder via Kremling, leaving around noon .Weather was good, some cumulus, but good vfr, I flew the first part under broken to scattered clouds at 11,500 and to 14,000 to cross Corona Pass. Not much wind, good vfr and smooth conditions. Steamboat is north of my route perhaps 40 miles, and I don't recall any concern about weather looking up that way as I passed. Nevertheless, a local CFI was returning from a trip from Boulder to Steamboat and about the time I got here they crashed near Rabbit Ears Pass which is on the route from SBS back to Boulder, apparently about 10, 500 altitude. The CFI is, was a really nice guy and a good instructor and pilot. I have flown with him numerous times, once to take me to Aspen and several times for my instrument check each year. He used to own a Pittts. He was a vegetarian and we joked about that a lot. There was a passenger with him.
The cause is not known.
I have seen this for the 34 years that I have been a pilot, just don't understand why anything that gives as much joy as flying can also hurt so much.