Thread: Any Harley Pilots?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Any Harley Pilots?

I need a little advice if there is anyone experienced on riding a really big road motorcycle like a Harley.

My Son, who is 30 going on 15, has bought a discount rental deal on a full size Harley and decided that he is going to go riding on the mountain highways in traffic.
    I am really worried about him.

The good news is that he is a very skilled motorcycle rider, but only the mid size bikes. He road raced for 4 years on a Yamaha 600 and had a lot of success. He was very fast for a privateer and won a number of races. But he also crashed and knocked himself out a couple of times, not even counting all the more minor injuries and road rash, and he has used up several helmets and sets of leathers. He does not have my "take is safe and easy" safe pilot personality; he would make a good combat pilot. His bike would top 150 mph and in one race in Utah the next class up was clocked at 187 mph on the straight.

He also rode an enduro 600 bike from Colorado all the way to the tip of South America where he survived being hit by a truck.
    I am proud of him, but wish he had an "off " switch sometimes.

So, does anyone have any particular tips on riding one of the big ones?

I forgot to mention that before getting into motorcycles he was a downhill ski racer, going up to 80 mph.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 06-13-2013 at 08:16 PM.