Thread: getting started in competition aerobatics

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

getting started in competition aerobatics

hey guys this is my second post and i just wanted to start out by telling you guys a little bit about myself. I am 15 years old and im currently enrolled in high school. Since I was about 4 ive wanted to fly regardless of aircraft type but more recently (past 2-3 years) I've really wanted to fly aerobatics and compete (ive been to numerous airshows and watch redbull air racing and reno air racing often.) Even more recently then that (July 3rd 2012) I was able to become a part of the patriots aerobatic jet team (we fly 7 l-39s) as a voulenteer to help with the team 2+ times a week every week. As that year progressed and I spent more and more time around there hanger and started to get to know everyone on a personal biases. More time progressed and on april 1st I bought my first plane with 2 of the team mebmbers and a good friend of mine who also voulenteers there. Normally i would not have been able to purchase the aircraft due to its cost but the owner and founder of the jet team just was actually friends with the previous owner so we got a better deal. About a month later I finnaly got to fly in my personal favorite aircraft in that hanger (even more so than the l-39 jets or mig 17s) it was a pitts s2e... that day the owner of the team and i went up and i did my first aerobatics: loops, point rolls, barrel rolls, hammer heads, rolling turns, half cuban 8s and sustained inverted flight (until the inverted oil system ran out). He would preform the manuver and i would repeat. first was the rolls they were self explanatory and i had no trouble pulling one off correctly. then came the loop, again pulled 4.3 g's through the loop and felt myself go through my own turbulence at the bottom of the loop. The rest of the flight went just like that, smooth and coordinated (so i think anyways) the owner of the team is an EXTREMELY high time pilot and is good friends with Sean D Tucker so i think if i did something wrong he would have told me. To me that was the greatest day i've ever had in aviation. Ever since ive been seriously considering selling my cessna share and purchasing something like a sonerai 2. something that i can finish my PPL in and do tailwheel and aerobatics in at the same time. So now to my question, how can i get started in competition aerobatics over the next few years (honestly i think the hardest part will be convincing my parents to let me do acro training as a good friend of ours recently passed doing low level acro in a glassair 3.) I'm really quite serious about this and want to be able to actively compete in college for what ever school i go to. How would i go about this, there is a flight school called attitude aviation about 30 min from me and they have EVERYTHING, pitts, great lakes, citabrias, decathlons even an l-39 for rent but its VERY expensive. Is there any way to do this without breaking the bank. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by holtzy822; 04-29-2013 at 10:28 PM.