Quote Originally Posted by kmisegades@bellsouth.net View Post
Call the folks at Jabiru USA as I did and ask why they rescinded the approval for Jabiru aircraft (but left it in place for engines). It is based on actual field experience with their aircraft in the US. Ethanol is far less common in fuels in Australia than in the US, so on this topic, I would trust the opinions from Jabiru USA over their parent company. Both are fine organizations however and have made a prudent decision.
I don't doubt at all that the folks at Jabiru USA have seen fuel compatibility problems, are concerned, and want to do something about it. It's great that they want to do something about it, however in life we are evaluated on our actions, not on intent. My fundemental problem with the Jabiru USA statement is it looks like someone wrote it on their lunch break and didn't have time to run spell check. When the author labels toluene an oxygenate (sorta like calling a Mustang a Chevy for those not chemically inclined) that is a revealing statement. Another glaring example, "keytones" are what you hear when you press a button on a telephone. Ketones are a class of compounds http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketone that are common in fuels. And they expect to be considered a credible source?

Wanting to help isn't the same as having something useful to add to the conversation. Contrast their effort to the Jabiru folks down under. A clear discription of the different type of fuels and compatibility information between each fuel system component and fuel (including ethanol). It is a professionally done document. Jabiru USA would do everyone a service if they directed owners to the Jabiru factory document, and if needed add a USA addendum that was RESEARCHED, describing why the US is different than international.