Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tram use

Participated in the weekend work party and didn’t see anyone masked and social distancing pretty much didn’t happen. We worked shoulder to shoulder, stood in the chow line and chatted as normal, ate our meals at the same tables, etc.
    The crew I worked with prepped for paint 18 public use cel phone charging stations (more to come) and completed the painting and assembly of 300 hand sanitation stations. Unfortunately the effects of site sitting idle for almost two years is obvious. EAA lost a large number of trees due to ash borer infestation, it also appears that the ground hogs are less than pleased with all the new human activity on the grounds. The tram units are parked around the site, many with flat tires. Four weeks to go and a ton of work to be done.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by skyfixer8 View Post
    As a driver / conductor, looking from someone from staff to answer, when at the Tower turn point, and people like seniors, disabled, families with tired kids are looking to get to bus park to get to museum or parking, what are we supposed to tell them ? Start walking or is there going to be some way for them to get there ? Doing away with green route is going to cause problems unless EAA has it figured out and not telling anyone,
    You do know they moved the tower turn point about 2 blocks west from where it was, don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by krw920 View Post
    You do know they moved the tower turn point about 2 blocks west from where it was, don't you?
    Just saw the map. Don’t think that will help much with the issue skyfixer8 was talking about.
    Seems like the yellow route will be boring for the tram volunteers. Unless they enjoy dodging clueless pedestrians or barking at people trying to jump on and off the trams midstream.

Sad

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Masks/Social Distancing not required if vaccinated. If not vaccinated, they are recommended, not required.

https://www.eaa.org/airventure/eaa-a...-covid-updates

About the same policies as S-n-F. I've heard mask/distancing was spotty there, and there doesn't appear to have been a post-show breakout.

Firearms, open or concealed carry, are prohibited.

https://www.eaa.org/airventure/about...ohibited-items

Ron Wanttaja
    my comment about open carry was meant as satire/sarcasm, in retrospect, I apologize if any were offended.
    Last edited by L-188; 06-27-2021 at 09:29 PM. Reason: mispelling

Saw two places that are going to be trouble on the map. Yellow and red tram meeting is at one of the busier intesections, should have left it as it was.
    Other is the replacement of Vintage tram stop. Should have left it after the turn onto Vern. Gonne have people jumping off as we slow for the turn.
    Wish they had actually talked to the volunteers instead of listening to a bunch of diinterested kids who weren t paying attention from what I saw.

The unfortunate elimination of the Hangar Cafe terminal to create a 'New Blue' route will IMHO also mean loads of angry would-be passengers seeing nothing but full trams at every stop.... and as we all know, if nobody gets off the tram, nobody can get on the tram. The mid-point terminal at least gave everyone a fair chance at a ride. And also just this geezer conductor's experienced opinion, the new VERY shortened Yellow route makes almost no sense at all.

I too fully expect passengers will be jumping on and off my trams while they are in motion and that increases the possibilty for some serious injuries to those guests But hey.... nobody asked me so I accept the reality that my opinion and experience regarding tram operations is unwanted.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Consultants are hired to deflect blame from decisions by leaders that cause poor outcome.

my comment about open carry was meant as satire/sarcasm, in retrospect, I apologize if any were offended.

I got it L-188, your sarcasm wasn't wasted, I seldom do open carry, I don't want people to know I'm packin heat ! And I respect all signage that prohibits C C.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    Consultants are hired to deflect blame from decisions by leaders that cause poor outcome.
    Word !
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by L-188 View Post
    Sarcasm has to be done carefully online, as the non-verbal cues that indicate you're kidding just aren't there.

In person, a humorous comment made in person is accompanied by actions to accentuate the fact that they are kidding. One might wink, roll your eyes, slap the other person on the back, or even chuckle. These don't come across, on the Internet. In your mind, you know you're kidding, but readers have no way of knowing you're winking at your computer monitor.

This is how emoticons got came about. Way back about 40 years ago, when I was getting started on USENET, I was told to use the "Tongue-in-Cheek" sign to indicate humor... a colon, followed by a hyphen and a close-parentheses: :-) . Folks started calling it a rotated smiley face; eventually, it just got shortened to "smiley" and devices started generating them as discrete graphics. Lost the whole tongue-in-cheek vibe, though.

There are dangers when NOT making your intent clear when you're kidding. If you post, "I hate all [insert ethnic group]" without any indication you're kidding, you don't have much of a defense if people take you seriously. Trolls often claim AFTERWARDS that their comment was meant in jest...even when it wasn't. So there's not a lot of sympathy out there.

Sounds like it's time for me to re-post "The Rules of the Internet." See #5 and #9.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Rules of the Internet – August 2015
    By Ron Wanttaja

1. You will never get the last word. No matter how many arguments you make, no matter what insults or threats you post, someone will always come back with a response. When you’ve made your point, or it’s apparent the other person(s) aren’t going to be swayed by your arguments, stop.

2. Thread drift happens. Your topic is going to morph well beyond what you can imagine. Accept it and don’t freak out.

3. Posting anonymously is perfectly acceptable. However, the only respect you will earn is for your demonstrated *knowledge*. Anyone can claim to be an airline pilot or lawyer, but if you show you know the law or a particular airliner’s systems, people will treat you more seriously.

4. Your anonymous “identity” is not *you*. If someone is insulting your online persona, they’re not insulting you, personally. But there are a lot of smart people online; your true identity may not remain a secret.

5. Keep in mind that some people rely on giving non-verbal clues to show what they’re thinking, and may not realize that the *lack* of such clues may cause others to interpret their statements in a darker way. In person, “What kind of idiot are you?” accompanied by a grin and a slap on the back is easily recognized as being jocular. Yet the same words in an online message may raise hackles, since it lacks the non-verbal cues.

6. No one is holding a gun to your head, forcing you to continue an unpleasant online discussion. If you stop, few will notice.

7. You will be judged by what *you* say, not what people say about you. Someone can rant and spew insults about you, but if you keep your head, remain reasonable, and don’t reciprocate, most observers will have a negative view of the other individual. Take the high road; more will respect you.

8. Humor is the best shield, but only when it’s used to deflect away from you, not towards your adversary. A pun or a joke on the situation, not directed at a person or group, shows you’re cool and may get some grudging respect from your adversary.

9. Sarcasm is not humor. Not only is there the probability of escalating the flames, but you stand a good chance of looking like a real idiot if people don't realize your message as intended as sarcasm.

10. Finally, the most important rule of the Internet: There ARE no rules to the Internet. It is anarchy; there’s nothing that compels action in anyone. The only behavior you can control is your own.

Ron Wanttaja