Thread: Flying to A/V

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Fenwick View Post
    I have taken several bits of info and printed out on an index card that is clipped to my clipboard. I have these bullet points IN ORDER as they will be needed. I.E. Arrival ATIS freq, Fisk Approach freq, the identifiers for the four transition points, Tower North freq, and Tower South freq. I also have alternated location info for Appleton and FLD. When Fisk hands me off, that is when I find out if I am lucky and get the 18/36 (Twr South) and I will have that freq right in front of me. Gives me time to turn to that page of the NOTAM to see where I have colored in the DOTS, and life is good.
    Great tip!
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

If all goes well, we will probably leave KCDN, Camden, S.C. early on the morning of July 25, and depending on wind and weather, probably stop somewhere wihin an hr. of Oshkosh for the night, camping or motel, don't know yet. Just wondering if any other small planes will be passing along the same or similar route. I know a couple of C 150s that will be leaving the first of the week headed for Iowa.
    Bob

Practice your right pattern turns, downwind to base and base to final. The approach into Runway 27 comes around the north. The controllers will change your directions suddenly ("Turn base now!, turn final now!") and they will switch dots too. I know we pilots mostly fly left patterns so be ready for some "exciting" right pattern work into an unfamiliar airport.

Quote Originally Posted by mcdewey View Post
    Practice your right pattern turns, downwind to base and base to final. The approach into Runway 27 comes around the north. The controllers will change your directions suddenly ("Turn base now!, turn final now!") and they will switch dots too. I know we pilots mostly fly left patterns so be ready for some "exciting" right pattern work into an unfamiliar airport.
    There is a small airport with a right pattern about 15 mi. from where my plane is based, I've been there a few times and will use it more. Thanks for the info.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by mcdewey View Post
    Practice your right pattern turns…
    That’s a very good suggestion, and one you don’t see very often.

The right turn to 27 is a continuous decent to land from 500'. IFR traffic is on 5 mile final over the lake. Several pilots tend to overshoot and have to turn tighter to get lined up. Saw a textbook landing stall a few years back. Just keep your nose down, speed above stall, and fly to center line. We all strive to hit the dot, most do not. You will be instructed to turn into the grass as soon as possible. It is very nice and not like your normal airport. Do not try for a taxiway unless directed to do so. There are others behind you that depend on this. (assuming it is not another sloshkosh) Taxi via ground directions with you sign posted. Get ready for the most fun you will have. And definitely get the shirt.
    ROCK YOUR WINGS!

Get ready for the most fun you will have. And definitely get the shirt.
    ROCK YOUR WINGS!

First time flying in but not our first time at A/V, and I have watched and listened in on arrivals while at A/V, and hours of arrivals and departures on Youtube. Some are very intense, my co-pilot and friend is a CFI and even when he's not instructing me, he instructing me. lol. We have been flying together for years and make a good team. Thanks for input.
    Bob