Thread: Thread Sealant on Oil Hoses

Thread Sealant on Oil Hoses

While we all know that Teflon tape can get into the engine and block oil passages, I have been told that Teflon paste is not a problem. Can anyone confirm that this stuff:

Name:  80633.jpg
Views: 2980
Size:  17.9 KB

is acceptable for use on an oil pressure fitting going into the accessory case?

It looks like a pretty standard pipe thread dope, so should be acceptable on pipe threads.

Are you asking about thread sealant on the tapered pipe fittings or the flared nuts on the oil hoses? The flared nuts that are at the end of the oil hoses themselves should not get any sealant of any kind. Your subject line is not clear.

The pipe fitting inserted into the engine oil pressure port. 43.13 says no tape on those types of fitting and I've heard of failures cause by sealant ending up in the oil and blocking an oil gallery. I have been told that if a bit of the above type of thread sealant makes it into the oil it breaks down and cannot block any orifices. I'm trying to confirm that this is true.

Better solution, if you want: a very thin layer of fuel lube.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Loctite 567 is the best I've found. Never had a pipe fitting leak with this stuff, oil, fuel even brake lines. One little tube goes a long way. I like Fuel Lube (now marketed as "Turn") as well. I've used it so long I'm on my second tube. I don't use it on pipe fittings however.

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-23445...tionAndDetails

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Better solution, if you want: a very thin layer of fuel lube.
    I second this suggestion. Fuel Lube, most commonly sold these days under the trade name of "EZ Turn" works great on these tapered fittings, and there's no danger of clogging the oil passages.
    Cheers!

Joe

That looks like the same stuff as the Permatex I'm using. Thank you.