Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weather at Airventure

Very few people know this but "Oshkosh" is actually a combination of two Native American words "osholaka" and "koshnan" which loosely translate to "No Shade" and "Gonna Rain". Dress accordingly.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    Very few people know this but "Oshkosh" is actually a combination of two Native American words "osholaka" and "koshnan" which loosely translate to "No Shade" and "Gonna Rain". Dress accordingly.
    You had me for a second... had to look that up!

About running your generator. There a some guidelines that the EAA has at: https://www.eaa.org/airventure/plan-...ler/guidelines
    Some people ignore these.

Generators

• No generators will be operated between the hours of 10:30 p.m. and 6:30 a.m. (except in designated 24-hour use area).
    • All camping units in 24-hour generator area must be positioned perpendicular to fire lanes. Fire lanes are marked as burn lines in the grass or with signage.
    • No tents are allowed in the 24-hour auxiliary power area.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCostello View Post
    You had me for a second... had to look that up!
    I 'live' by my signature line - lol - "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Being that the convention is held on planet earth, there’s no telling what the weather will be.
    From: https://www.wunderground.com/blog/we...peratures.html

But it was during the July heat wave of 1995 that the highest dew point of all was measured in the Upper Midwest: 90° at Appleton, Wisconsin at 5 p.m. on July 13th of that summer. The air temperature stood at 101° in Appleton at that time leading to a heat index reading of 148°, perhaps the highest such reading ever measured in the United States.

I don’t think there’s any way to prepare for that.
    Last edited by PaulDow; 04-16-2021 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    I have never had the pleasure of meeting you, Randy, but I don't believe a word that you said. I do hope to meet you during my fourth, and probably final, trip to Osh.

I have believed for a long time that it's a Wisconsin state law that it has to rain at least once during the convention.

WX?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCostello View Post
    "What kind of weather can I expect at Oshkosh?"

Yes.

Seriously. The answer is just "yes." Short of actual snow or hurricanes, you should be prepped for mostly good summer weather (with the associated humidity and mosquitos), occasional bits of cool weather (I've definitely been downright chilly there)... but most of all you should be prepared for some nasty summer storms if you are camping.

If you intend to tent camp, and you are not adequately prepared, you (and all your stuff) WILL get soaked. If you do not adequately tie your stuff down, it will get blown across all of Camp Scholler.

It's a GREAT time as long as you come prepared for the eventuality of significant amounts of rain and wind. If you aren't prepped for that, a great time turns soggy and kinda miserable pretty quickly.
    All the above is true. Just enjoy and remember it will get better!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thanks for the info everybody. Out of curiosity, what are the evenings and nights like? Does it usually cool down?

Do your dog a favor and leave it home with a friend, neighbor or relative. Apart from being half way across the country, in an unfamiliar environment, AirVenture is a pretty hostile environment for a dog's sensitive hearing. If you leave him in the camper, it's seperated from you anyway. Dragging it along with you on the show grounds is very imposing on other attendees and only puts you dog in closer proximity to the noise. Don't get me wrong. I have been a dog owner all my life. I love my dogs but in over 40 conventions I have never felt the need to bring my pets along.
    Something no one else has mentioned....mosquitos, and not the British variant. Some repelant would be advisable.
    ......and a second set of keys to your vehicle, secreated away somewhere safe on the frame of your vehicle.
    Some evenings can require a warm jacket to fend off the cool air, and the next night you might wish for a fan to cool you off.
    Last edited by Ronald Franck; 04-19-2021 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Spelling correction