Thread: DC3 Instrument Panel

DC3 Instrument Panel

I have an old DC3 Panel from the 80's out of a retired DC3 from Superior Airways in Northern Ontario, Canada.
    I'm cleaning it up and turning it into a picture frame. I have some of the original placards but not entirely sure where they go.
    I would also like to make any other placards the panel may have had.

Any advice on what placards iy would have had and where they might have gone?
    Also, if you have any ideas on what all the holes were for, specifically the holes that would have had warning lights or switches that would be fantastic as I plan to install LED lights and make it light up. Would love to have the warning lights and the placards to go along with them if i can figure it out.

Thanks for any help you can give, I've done lots of google searching but can't find a panel that matches what I have.
    Name:  IMG_20210320_092132_resized_20210402_053645406.jpg
Views: 2696
Size:  86.0 KBName:  IMG_20210320_092110_resized_20210402_053646011.jpg
Views: 2837
Size:  94.9 KB

Looks nice! I don't know if this will help, but I offer it anyway. Description of the required placards can be found in the FAA Type certificate: http://www.douglasdc3.com/faa/a-669.pdf. Download the document a search for "placard." There are about 42 of them. I am also attaching a diagram of what instruments went where. It is not a perfect match for your panel, but it will get you going in the right direction. Have fun!
    Name:  IMG_1841.jpg
Views: 2360
Size:  99.9 KB
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Lots of good information in the pilot's manual: https://www.usaf-sig.org/index.php/r...tegory/41-c-47

Last edited by FlyingRon; 04-05-2021 at 03:13 PM.

Thanks for the info guys!!

Are you sure that isn't from a DC-4/C-54? Appears to have holes in the panel for 4 engine instrumentation.

It looks like a retrofit panel rather than an original, the thing looks a lot like an old garmin (296 or the like) dock cutout.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    It looks like a retrofit panel rather than an original, the thing looks a lot like an old garmin (296 or the like) dock cutout.
    According to the panel layout I pasted, that square cut out could be for an "automatic pilot instrument panel." On review, however, I am inclined to agree with L-188 that there does seem to be cut outs for four engines.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Quote Originally Posted by L-188 View Post
    Are you sure that isn't from a DC-4/C-54? Appears to have holes in the panel for 4 engine instrumentation.
    I also thought it looked like a panel with 4 engines. Except my dad was a bush pilot in the north and personally took this out of a DC3 in Northern Canada that had been scrapped. It also has a handful of placards, I can post some pictures. The placards have serial numbers all indicating DC3

Those old auto pilot panles were usually square. A lot of old DC-3's have blank plates covering them up these days. It still might not be four engines. Once the DG and AH are moved from the center of the panel, it's not uncomon to see lots of gauges there. Especially, if they use individual gauges for each engine rather than the "two needle" twin ones. Check out this panel":