Thread: Aligning Sketches on Different Planes

Aligning Sketches on Different Planes

There's probably an easy-peasy solution for this that will produce an instant facepalm, but....

Here's the setup. I've got similar (but not identical) circles drawn on separate planes (parallel here, but not necessarily). I've got a "Loft Line" drawn on an orthogonal plane (the Right plane, in this case).
    Name:  loft line.JPG
Views: 815
Size:  77.9 KB
    I want to align the circles to align their centers (or other points) to the loft line where it intersects the plane the center is drawn on. I see the "Align Sketch" button on the far left, but that doesn't seem to do the trick.

So...what am I missing?

It's for an airplane this time, I swear it. Uhhh, well, a SPACEplane, but it's the same sort of thing....

Ron Wanttaja

I assume your loft line sketch is above the other two sketches in the feature tree. I also assume the loft line passes through or at least up to your circle sketch planes.

Open the first circle sketch and select the point you want to align to the loft line and the loft line itself. Now look at the constraints list (using a RMB click, menu, etc) for those two selected entities and you should see PIERCE POINT. Apply that constraint, then do the same for the other circle sketch(es).
    Last edited by cwilliamrose; 11-13-2020 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cwilliamrose View Post
    I assume your loft line sketch is above the other two sketches in the feature tree. I also assume the loft line passes through or at least up to your circle sketch planes.

Open the first circle sketch and select the point you want to align to the loft line and the loft line itself. Now look at the constraints list (using a RMB click, menu, etc) for those two selected entities and you should see PIERCE POINT. Apply that constraint, then do the same for the other circle sketch(es).
    That did it! Thanks.

Ron Wanttaja

Lightbulb

Also, if the line continues past the 'upper' circle for instance, you can put a point coincident in the circle sketch, which will 'fix' the contact location on the circle, and then make the line coincident to the point in the line sketch. Also creating a 3-D sketch is a good option too, because then ALL the elements can be in one sketch. Also sometimes selection may be difficult, but orbiting the view to a better angle helps.

-Christian