Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh 2021?

The nearest service to OSH by the majors is Appleton (ATW). It’s only 20 minutes or so north of Oshkosh. You can get into ATW via Minneapolis, Detroit and Chicago and others. There is bus service out of MKE north but no express service. Limo service is pricey. Rental cars are worth their weight in gold during AV. If you’re planning on attending book your reservations early. Welcome to Oshkosh!!!
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndsegment View Post
    Lodging is where I am and these nearer places look better than what I was at yesterday at Green Bay and a bus. For taking the bus once, maybe, including getting back at night-- but I am not as "in" at EAA as I am with jets. I think I need the weekly ticket which I have printed out to hold the dates (7/26-8/1). Right now my delay is to my second vaccination and surety I don't get quarantined. That window opens on the 28th of March. Your information is much appreciated. I looked at Fond Du Lac but did not see the air connection there. The EAA was mentioned there.
    There are cabins for rent near by but you would need transportation to A/V. The exception would be Sleepy Hollow Farms Campground, it's adjacent to Camp Scholler and, at least a few years ago, would take you to the EAA gate in a golf cart. They have nice showers and toilets.
    Bob

I've been studying up on the new tram routes and terminals based on that 2019 (IMHO 50% Donkey) "Transportation Study" by Northwestern. Just my no-cost to anyone two-cents worth of opinions (LOL) - Blue is likely to take forever to run and leave many unhappy folks along the way watching nothing but our full trams go by, Yellow is way too short and the new 'part-time' Purple route is just going to cause confusion at that terminal. Losing Green will come as a major shock/grievance to attendees as well.

But hey - I ain't no Northwestern graduate ner nuthin' - I'm just one of the many poor schlubbs that will have to implement these changes and interact with our AirVenture visitors.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

I feel for ya Randy !
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndsegment View Post
    Lodging is where I am and these nearer places look better than what I was at yesterday at Green Bay and a bus. For taking the bus once, maybe, including getting back at night-- but I am not as "in" at EAA as I am with jets. I think I need the weekly ticket which I have printed out to hold the dates (7/26-8/1). Right now my delay is to my second vaccination and surety I don't get quarantined. That window opens on the 28th of March. Your information is much appreciated. I looked at Fond Du Lac but did not see the air connection there. The EAA was mentioned there.
    Here are a couple of options that I have tried, or was planning to use for Osh 2020. I hope that you find something useful. My accommodation was always the University of Wisconsin (Oshkosh) dorms (excellent).

1. I have previously flown with airlines from LAX to Appleton (ATW), via Chicago (ORD) when coming from Australia. Or, I have flown from LaGuardia to ATW via ORD when I happened to be in NYC. A change of plane is required at ORD. From ATW, you can take a taxi to the university or, if your flight arrives at the appropriate time, get on one of the bus shuttles to the university.

2. Fly by airline from your home town to ORD. From ORD there's a bus service that can get you to Milwaukee Intermodal Station (MIS). From the MIS you can take the Lamers to the university.

https://www.coachusa.com/airport-transportation/airport-express

https://www.golamers.com/lamers-conn...n-daily-route/

During Oshkosh, travel between the university and Wittman airport is easy by taking the high frequency bus shuttle. Easy. Hope you make it there and have a great time!

Hey Randy, any word if they are going to run the trams and buses at limited capacity or put more units into play?
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Twice I've flown into ATW commercially during the show. The first time I had a business trip immediately preceding it. Margy and our son flew the Navion out. I brought a small tent with me as I didn't know if I'd beat them there. I walked off the plane onto the shuttle bus which was just ready to depart. ATW is so small that it probably didn't take me more then ten minutes. from the time the airliner landed until we were on the way.

The next time, I had to work during the show (elsewhere), so I got someone to give me a ride to ATW and flew back a week later. This time I chatted up another attendee who was sitting next to me on the plane and offered to navigate for him if he'd give me a ride in the rental car he had booked.

I've made runs to ATW, GRB, and MKE to pick up friends who were arriving commercially. I'd personally prefer them in about that order.

Have not yet received any info from the Tram Boss. They're fantastic folks and no doubt working hard behind the scenes to get things squared away. I can't imaging running the units at less than 'full' capacity is practical? So that throws "social distancing" right out the window.

I am glad I've begun the Covid vaccination protocol. Had my 1st Pfizer shot this past Wednesday, with #2 in 3 weeks so at least I'll be Airventure ready well in advance on that front. Now I just gotta verify that the mom-n-pop motel I use is still in business.

Randy, I been chatting with Sandy on Face Book. no real news yet from her. With all the input she has gotten from us, I should think EAA would listen to real time input from us and not from some kids who didn t really do their job and sold EAA a bill of worthless information. IMHO

Skyfixer - your obvious mistake is thinking that common sense and logic apply to the situation - LOL It has long been claimed that the elephant is really just a race horse designed by a committee of consultants.