Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
A buddy and I were out on the warbird line a few years ago and got absolutely shouted down by a 14 year old in para-military garb. Our crime was crossing an unmarked line in the grass. I would have liked to speak to whoever was coaching that young man. Additional training would have been useful.
I think this applies for any position that is looking after crowd lines. We are all too familiar with folks on scooters zipping up and down the flight lines chastising any poor fool for so much as crossing their pinkie toe over the burn line.

The problem here is the chastising. It's often done in a manner that doesn't make friends, and there is no effort to engender good will or think bigger picture.

After seeing this happen all too often, I decided to take a different tack when I volunteered on the flight line. When I pulled up on an offending foot or purse, I'd invariably get "the look" - you know, the "oh, God... here comes Captain Underpants to yell at me."

Instead of barking at them to stay behind the line, I explained why. I explained about the special arrangement that the EAA has with the FAA, and if the EAA was lax in its enforcement of the line, that special arrangement would cease to exist. The first guy I did that to was this grizzled guy that was gearing up to curse me out for being a rent-a-cop. But when I approached, I did so with a smile, a hey, how you all doing today, and if you wouldn't mind staying behind the line because XYZ, his response was, "Oh... wow. Okay, yeah, I'll definitely do that. I've been coming here for years and years, and not one person has ever explained why. I appreciate that, and I'll be sure to keep me and my neighbors behind the line."

Made for a great experience all around, and I got to meet and chat with all sorts of great folks.

Of course, there was also that one time someone lost control of their 4-year old, who went sprinting across the line like Usain Bolt. THAT was exciting.