Thread: Instrument Landing CAT-I, CAT-II. CAT-III and GCA

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Happy Instrument Landing CAT-I, CAT-II. CAT-III and GCA

Now that GPS approaches have been added to the ways to land in bad weather or just under ATC control I have to say that I was kicked out of the EAA IMC Club faster than out of the FACEBOOK Modeling Group. I know you have seen those sort of short white "goal posts" in a sequence of heights at the end of some of the bigger runways. Sometimes aircraft crash into them landing short or unable to attain height depending on the wind.

The Berlin Airlift proceeded without them using only precision radar approaches and so I met a lot of resistance to including anything to do with CAT in the military DC-9. As time passed the Electrical Engineering folks at Douglas working on the DC-10 showed me their work on presenting a CAT-III landing simulation using the same IBM 2250 Vector graphics that I used for my ABS-III performance simulation. I was severely reprimanded for using terms visible on the visitors today circular that could be seen by foreign and commercial operators.

NAVSTAR was launched on a DELTA booster so I walked among those at McDonnell-Douglas Astronautics-West while it's uncertainty was vulnerable. I listened to the regression of the Air Defense Command from using dedicated radars and SAGE-BUIC to only FAA radars as the AWACS was being funded in yearly cycles.
    Last edited by 2ndsegment; 10-21-2020 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Time to move on.