Thread: Moving Beyond the pilot's Operating Manual

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    So much for having the AI whipped into shape. I spent yesterday trying to fly from KLAX to KLAS in the A320. But enough about me. The AI with the default departure for LAX took me out into the Pacific and kept going. Hey! Las Vegas is to the Northeast! Roughly, let's see RWY 6, Let's try rwy 6. Yeah! It is going almost along the red course! (I am cheating a bit and using IFR-Low to avoid the mountains I know ring the LA basin (Valley of Smokes). Soon I am out and into the high desert (about 3000 feet ground level). Joshua Approach? Is that what the ATC just said? Joshua Tree is a bit toward Oceanside and San Diego to the South but the Course seems to be heading Northeast.

Now, just to get over those mountains that ring Las Vegas. Because I have about 500 hours of flight time in the MS-FS now it is telling me each time my transponder is out and I need to squawk a code and it will track me on radar. I can find the XPDR on the panel with my mouse and have the command in the list I made of the Settings but guess what? Yeah, it is out. That just means my handicap now is ATC wants to drop me for VFR landing in scattered clouds below from about half the standard 18000 feet meteorological altimeter setting for 29.92 in Hg. So I am here at 9050 feet.

What if I just let it go? Seven hours later as fuel exhaustion approaches and I have gone past Salt Lake City Center having the hope of Nellis Center past long ago and yes, Minneapolis Center and a whole lot of water before a bit of land and now looking forward a lot more water, the ATC call "Airbus ... contact Winnipeg Center ... on ...." Is that what the stepped on "Wi2osdn ndkj," was, and now I hit escape and save the .flt file to be able to see the LAT LONG. Sure I need to practice takeoffs and landing with my joystick which is somewhat like the one that replaced the B-58 yoke in the aircraft CCTS syllabus at Castle AFB in 1968 and needed to be somehow adapted into a new one for the FB-111.

But after the meeting at Nellis in 1966 my next trip was to Wright-Patterson where the gate gave me a card with all of my appointments and times and blanks for the contact to sign me in and out before giving me a pass for my portfolio. I had 15 minutes between each appointment to get to the next before someone would come looking for me. The first meeting was in a dugout. On the surface I saw a dump truck with three rear axles, a tandem and a single lift axle as well as the normal front axle. Then into the lobby and meet the contact and down an elevator to another lobby which looked out of the side of the hill through large picture windows. The contact handed us off , for I was with the Douglas Dayton rep, to a civilian older man. He was very pleased to see me. He led me down a corridor and we turned into a room with -- I don't remember-- and later at Shaw AFB, I really don't remember any of the officers I met or anything I said or heard.

No real problem as the civilian had a book. He offered to let me peruse it and to make any notes I wished which he would mail to me afterwards. The book was about Soviet PVO-Strany. Chapters described various GCI and EW radars as well as acquisition radars for AAA and SAM sites. Each radar had a NATO nickname which was classified. I can rattle some of them off and you can look them up now in Google or buy kits to build mockups in scale. TOKEN, TALL KING, SPOON REST, KNIFE REST, FAN SONG, --- and some pictures of the pads in a pattern that were now appearing as pre-laid out locations in North Viet Nam for mobile SAM's like SA-2. Some of the pads would have occupants, some days and most would not. All of this I put into the notes and sure enough after I got back from my trip which included a second stop at Shaw, AFB in Sumpter, South Carolina, the document control station at Long Beach informed me, my package from Dayton had arrived.

The trip to Sumpter included the Dayton rep and Stanley Hubbard and two other guys so that our flights in short segments met fog as night fell and Stan and I were the low status individuals bumped as standbys. When we got to the next stop on a later flight the airfiled was closed and we rented a car for a wild ride through the mountains from Charlotte to Raleigh and on to Sumpter. I guess we flew to Raleigh from Charlotte as standby, but the route to Sumpter was all night with fog and near zero visibility with one Yank as copilot and one RAF Wing Commander as principal driver. Sumpter is where the Douglas B-66's modified for Reconnaisance and Electronic Countermeasures were. I could see the silhouettes of their tails and fuselages on the ramp as we drove in the gate on Stan's exchange officer ID. He had decided we would spend the minor fragment of the night left in the BOQ as no motel reservations were left.

Но после встречи в Неллис в 1966 году моя следующая поездка была Райт-Паттерсон, где ворота дали мне карту со всеми моими назначениями и раз и пробелы для контакта, чтобы войти и выйти, прежде чем дать мне пропуск для моего портфеля. У меня было 15 минут между каждой встречей, чтобы добраться до следующего, прежде чем кто-то придет искать меня. Первая встреча была в землянке. На первый взгляд я увидел самосвал с тремя задними осями, тандемом и одной подъемной осью, а также обычной передней осью. Затем в вестибюль и встретить контакт и вниз на лифте в другой вестибюль, который выглянул из стороны холма через большие окна изображения. Контакт передал нам, потому что я был с представителем Дуглас Дейтон, гражданский пожилой человек. Он был очень рад меня видеть. Он повел меня по коридору, и мы превратились в комнату с - я не помню - и позже в Шоу АФБ, я действительно не помню ни одного из офицеров, кого я встретил или что-нибудь я сказал или услышал.

Нет реальной проблемы, так как у гражданского была книга. Он предложил, чтобы я ознать его и сделать какие-либо заметки я хотел, который он будет по почте мне потом. Книга была о советском ПВО-Страни. В главах описаны различные РЛС GCI и EW, а также радары приобретения для сайтов AAA и SAM. Каждый радар имел прозвище НАТО, которое было засекречено. Я могу греметь некоторые из них, и вы можете посмотреть их сейчас в Google или купить комплекты для создания макетов в масштабе. TOKEN, TALL KING, SPOON REST, KNIFE REST, FAN SONG, --- и некоторые фотографии колодок в шаблоне, которые в настоящее время появляются в качестве предварительно изложенных местах в Северном Вьетнаме для мобильных SAM, как SA-2. Некоторые из прокладок будет иметь пассажиров, несколько дней, и большинство не будет. Все это я положил в примечаниях и конечно же после того как я вернулся из моей поездки, которая включала вторую остановку в Шоу, AFB в Самптер, штат Северная Каролина, станция контроля документов в Лонг-Бич сообщил мне, мой пакет из Дейтона прибыл.

Поездка в Самптер включены Дейтон респ и Стэнли Хаббард и два других парней, так что наши рейсы в коротких сегментах встретил туман, как ночь упала, и Стэн, и я был низким статусом лиц наткнулся в качестве резервов. Когда мы добрались до следующей остановки на более позднем рейсе airfiled был закрыт, и мы арендовали автомобиль для дикой езды через горы от Шарлотты до Роли и дальше в Самптер. Я думаю, мы летели в Роли из Шарлотта в режиме ожидания, но маршрут в Самптер был всю ночь с туманом и почти нулевой видимости с одним янки, как второй пилот и один RAF крыла командира в качестве основного водителя. Самптер, где Дуглас B-66 изменены для разведки и электронных контрмер были. Я видел силуэты их хвостов и фюзеляжей на рампе, когда мы ехали в ворота на обмен офицера Стэна ID. Он решил, что мы проведем небольшой фрагмент ночи, оставленной в БОЗ, так как никакие бронирования мотеля не были оставлены.
    Last edited by 2ndsegment; 10-10-2020 at 05:35 AM. Reason: to give affect to the message Yo-ooo heave -ho