Thread: Looking for Help Identifying Vintage Model Planes!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I'd suggest checking with the Academy of Model Aeronautics and their museum in Muncie, Indiana.

Quote Originally Posted by BusyLittleShop View Post
    Photo #2
    I believe is suppose to be a P51D but its crude...
    Not a P-51, is a typical R/C pattern (stunt) plane of the early 1970s. Not sure which one, there were hundreds of designs back then... it looks a little like a Sterling Lancer but the rudder shape is wrong, the tail looks like a Kaos but the fuselage doesn't. Most R/Cs of the era weren't intended to represent any particular full size plane.

And on top of that, a significant number were not built from kits or even from published plans. My Dad flew R/C for many years (and I did, occasionally) including gliders, pattern planes, and even a trainer or two. I would say 90% were entirely his own designs, nothing that you'd ever be able to identify. Several of the others in the club were doing the same.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

All of the models pictured are for radio control. You might try searching through several on line plan services like Outerzone, Hip Pocket or Aerofred. You can also try posting your request on the RC Groups Vintage and Antique forum.