Thread: Private Threads?

Private Threads?

I think most of the EAA clubs have some sort of email list or discussion forum for their chapter, possibly via old Yahoo!Group, .io group, or Google Group. Would the EAA forum software be able to handle a private thread for a specific EAA chapter? It could be linked to the member list, and so active members of the chapter could view that thread along side the other EAA forum posts, but it wouldn't be open to the everyone. That makes it easy to come to one spot to view both EAA discussions as well as get info on our Chapter's fly-outs and things.

VB had this concept of social groups where you could have your own private area of the forums. You'd likely to need a chapter member or two to handle the invitations, unlike some other membership orgs I've been in, I don't think the EAA keeps track of what chapter you're in with your national membership.

EAA Staff / Moderator
    Hello rawheels,

Not sure what chapter you are a member of, but many EAA chapters have their own Facebook pages or groups that they administer. They post chapter news, social gatherings, etc. on these Facebook pages. If you're not on Facebook, it might be worth joining to see if your chapter has its own Facebook page. Otherwise, many chapters also have their own websites where they do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by rawheels View Post
    I think most of the EAA clubs have some sort of email list or discussion forum for their chapter, possibly via old Yahoo!Group, .io group, or Google Group. Would the EAA forum software be able to handle a private thread for a specific EAA chapter? It could be linked to the member list, and so active members of the chapter could view that thread along side the other EAA forum posts, but it wouldn't be open to the everyone. That makes it easy to come to one spot to view both EAA discussions as well as get info on our Chapter's fly-outs and things.

Makes it kinda rough on EAA, as there will be those who expect them to police the action.

When Yahoo groups went away, we transitioned the Fly Baby mailing list to groups.io. I'm real happy with it...lets you store files and pictures, set up a Wiki for your organization, etc.

https://groups.io/g/FlyBaby/

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    VB had this concept of social groups where you could have your own private area of the forums. You'd likely to need a chapter member or two to handle the invitations, unlike some other membership orgs I've been in, I don't think the EAA keeps track of what chapter you're in with your national membership.
    I imagine that would be fine. Most are managing their own lists anyway. I was making the assumption that since our club sends in a member list to EAA each year that it was managed from an electronic database of some kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Oleson View Post
    Not sure what chapter you are a member of, but many EAA chapters have their own Facebook pages or groups that they administer. They post chapter news, social gatherings, etc. on these Facebook pages. If you're not on Facebook, it might be worth joining to see if your chapter has its own Facebook page. Otherwise, many chapters also have their own websites where they do the same thing.
    The chapter has both Facebook and their own website. Guess I didn't explain correctly; The point would be to not rely on another site (yahoo, Facebook, .io), but to have all of the EAA discussions hosted by the EAA forums, so everything is in one place. Just a suggestion.

I was making the assumption that since our club sends in a member list to EAA each year that it was managed from an electronic database of some kind.
    You can search for an EAA chapter by type, state and country from the EAA website, which perhaps is how they use that info. If you search for a chapter it provides basic info about contacts, meeting times and places, etc.
    Last edited by martymayes; 07-07-2020 at 08:28 AM.