Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forum header image not loading

Forum header image not loading

The logo that normally appears at the top-left of the forum is no longer loading. The URL for that image...

http://www.eaa.org/images/forumsheader2.png

...returns a 404 error.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

A month later, this problem still exists. Does EAA HQ still monitor the Support and Feedback forum?
    Eric Page
    Map of Landings

What page are you looking at where this image is trying to be loaded? All the pages I load use "http://spirit.eaa.org/images/eaaforum_logo.png"

Everything is loading properly for me

For me, this problem has existed forever. On my desktop running Firefox or Microsoft Edge, the "EAA Forums - Powered by vBulletin" text link is there, but no image. On my Ipad, I get a broken picture icon and no text. My Kindle Fire gives a broken image icon and the text link, and Firefox on my Samsung phone (Android) gives the text link but no image.

When the link is clicked on either my desktop or phone, it goes to the main page for the forum.

Otherwise, I don't notice the problem...just the broken link symbol. But when I click the png image link Eric posted, I get a warning message that the image cannot be displayed due to errors.

Ron Wanttaja

Yep, I'm seeing it exactly as Ron (Seattle) described. The image doesn't load and the URL for the image returns an error if loaded directly.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the forum is probably hosted in more than one data center, and members on the east coast are being served from a different location than those of us out west. Somehow that file didn't get synced properly between them.
    Eric Page
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    A month later, this problem still exists. Does EAA HQ still monitor the Support and Feedback forum?
    Not sure what the staffing level is at EAA headquarters now. The people who might normally fix this might be on furlough...

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    Yep, I'm seeing it exactly as Ron (Seattle) described. The image doesn't load and the URL for the image returns an error if loaded directly.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the forum is probably hosted in more than one data center, and members on the east coast are being served from a different location than those of us out west. Somehow that file didn't get synced properly between them.
    That would be hard to do with vBulletin. It doesn't allow multiple servers.
    Can you PM me the output of "View Page Source" for one of the broken pages.

There's a tapatalk hook just above where that image is displayed. RonW you say you are on a moblie device. Eric, what are you using? I just tried it on my iPhone and it works fine.

I'm still endeavoring to make it fail on one of my devices.

More annoying than the image is that the site hasn't had security certificates (now easily obtained for free).
    Last edited by FlyingRon; 07-27-2020 at 02:48 PM.

EAA Staff / Moderator
    Hello everyone -- on my desktop, using Google Chrome or Firefox, I don't notice any problems at all. When using Microsoft Edge, the logo doesn't show up properly, but it still links to the home page. Eric, are you on mobile or desktop?

Thanks,

Sam

It works for me with edge, but I'm using the new (chrome-based) edge. Even with the old big-E internet explorer it works.

Looking at the html output it looks as if it might be a template difference in the template doc_header or the like. Perhaps because Eric or RonW is tripping over a different styling somehow.
    Last edited by FlyingRon; 07-27-2020 at 03:01 PM.