Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eaa cancellation

Eaa cancellation

Just listened to the green dot podcast. Apparently Eaa is run by a bunch of hand wringing crybabies. What a joke. We have seen by now that this has been nowhere nearly as big of a deal as it was supposed to be. All of you who pressured them into cancelling should be ashamed.

I don't know where you live, but EVERY major event for this summer in Wisconsin has been cancelled this year.

Quote Originally Posted by streffpilot View Post
    Just listened to the green dot podcast. Apparently Eaa is run by a bunch of hand wringing crybabies. What a joke. We have seen by now that this has been nowhere nearly as big of a deal as it was supposed to be. All of you who pressured them into cancelling should be ashamed.
    really? Nice 20-20 hindsight there chief. Apparently you missed all the discussions as to why it simply wasn’t viable to hold the event. When you are in charge, come back to us.
    Last edited by Sam Oleson; 06-19-2020 at 12:54 PM.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

You might be interested in the previous discussion of this topic.

http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?...ally-cancelled

Basically, it boiled down to:

1. EAA had to make the decision early, because of the months of previous work that needed to be accomplished.
    2. Most of that preparation work is performed by volunteers.
    3. With the nature of volunteerism, many of the volunteers are in the vulnerable age groups, more likely to suffer severe consequences from a Covid-19 infection.
    4. At the time the decision had to be made, many states were in a lockdown situation, which would have inhibited many of the volunteers. At the time the decision HAD to be made, Wisconsin itself had limits on how many people could assemble. Even if volunteers had shown up, they wouldn't have been able to work.

EAA does not own a crystal ball; they had to make the decision early, based on the information they had. Other Wisconsin public events in the July-August time period had already been cancelled. If they'd tried to prepare for AV2020 and the state forced them to cancel it at the last moment, the financial impact would have been huge.

And...don't forget, this was not a world conference on how to stop an asteroid that was going to hit the Earth in December. It was not a medical convention to finalize the cure for all cancers. It was an air show. A recreational event. That's all. As one of my favorite legal decisions once said, you do not have a constitutional right to attend an air show.

As for "this has been nowhere nearly as big of a deal as it was supposed to be"? Well, maybe that is because of the quarantines, the school closures, the shutdowns in many states. Washington State was where it started, once had the most cases in the US, but it's now ~23rd. I don't think that would have happened without the steps taken here.

With that, complaining that the event has been "nowhere nearly as big of a deal" without factoring in what has been done to minimize the pandemic is like saying the US never should have entered World War II, because the Germans and the Japanese were no longer a threat by the end of 1945.

Ron Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 06-18-2020 at 12:24 PM.

Well I've never listened to any of the pod cast, don't have the time, so, I don't know how they are acting to all this, it's not my concern, I hate it for the EAA, I'm a member. But I do know, from my 50 years as a construction worker, 25 of those years in safety, there are precautions you have to take for peoples safety. I know there is always a risk, but you have to mitigate those risk for the well being of everyone envolved. Can you imagin AirVenture being held in Feb. before news of the Coronavirus hit, and someone had C19 and didn't know it. How fast would it have spread?
    Just my thoughts.
    Bob

Crybabies?

Irony, anyone?

Have you been to any baseball games this year? How about company picnics, church services or birthday parties? The answer is no and not just because you didn't get an invitation.

I suspect that not much thought preceded this statement. Others who responded to your post have articulated why it was sensible to cancel the event, so I will not repeat.

I am surprised at your attitude because your country appears to still be in the grip of this pandemic, clearly evident by the continuing climb in the number of infections. The gradient of the linear curve remains quite steep and the logarithmic plot doesn't appear to be flattening either. That's a real concern.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6

I look forward to possibly attending next year, but I estimate that there's only a 50% chance. I hope that all our members and their families remain safe and well during the pandemic.

Well depending upon your locale the effect of the pandemic greatly varies and influences your viewpoint. The response of each states’ governor also varies greatly. Tony Evers’ response to the COVID outbreak basically broke the back of almost every major event in Wisconsin for the summer season to include AirVenture, the Iola car show, the Winnebago county fair and numerous others, the Oshkosh music festivals, the Milwaukee music festival, the Wisconsin state fair etc. Many are now questioning the necessity and effectiveness of the shutdown and shelter orders. Regardless of where you come down on that subject, it obviously effected the planning and preparation for a great number of events. It’s not surprising that they all came to the same conclusion - cancellation.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    Crybabies?

Irony, anyone?
    Where is the 'like' button on this thing?

[I've self-censored the rest of my post before submitting it]