The plans built aircraft I'm building already has a number of versions or models. None of the versions have a method of updating the drawings that I know of. In some cases the plans are fairly vague and have some errors. This doesn't present a problem for savvy builders as they come up with solutions of their own. Common advise is that unless you're a experienced builder this is not an easy project to tackle.

During my build (not complete) I spent a lot of time with AutoCAD filling in the missing pieces and verifying the measurements. I used CNC to produce a lot of the parts. This is a plans build project so every fitting needs to be manufactured. I also borrowed some of the common methods for assemblies from other aircraft including CUBS and VANS models. I ended up with a set of as-built plans with a lot of the missing details and verified measurements plus drawings to CNC manufacture parts.

I don't want to create yet another model but the drawings could help other builders. I was thinking of releasing the plans free of charge. Similar to Open Source software. Think Android, Linux or Firefox. All are Open Source. The idea is that anyone can use the plans with no conditions. The drawings could be maintained by one or more people or managed by an association so that there is continuity.

Some questions came up. I'm looking for comments.

• The drawings wouldn't have a serial number. Can someone use them to build an aircraft and make up their own serial number to register it?
    • not a problem for me, just wondering.
    • I was thinking the builder would purchase a set of plans with s/n and use these plans as a supplement to help his build.

• Am I violating anyone's copyrights here. If the plans have a copyright symbol are the plans copyrighted or is it just the name? With that in mind;
    • All the versions were a copy of the original idea with some style changes
    • The original borrowed heavily from other aircraft
    • A lot of the assemblies are common among aircraft. ie: wings have spars, ribs, compression tubes and drag/antidrag wires