Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Contingency Planning - Return to the days of old?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Contingency Planning - Return to the days of old?

Hi, All;

Just sitting here before the days chores begin and I got to thinking....

I know National is still planning on Convention occurring as normal, but things are getting weird with the spike in new covid cases, states locking things down, etc. So, what if...

Let's say mid-May comes around, things are still bleak, and National decides to call it a year and forego Convention. But then, suddenly, by July 1st, the world is somewhat back to normal. Would it be impractical to have a flash mob convention/fly-in? Just whomever wants to fly in, camp under their planes or in Scholler, and just have a good ol' "nothin' but talkin' planes" type gathering? Maybe just a long weekend. This wouldn't take too much planning, as the "stuff" is already there - Wittman, Scholler, etc.

They can sell some T-shirts, cuz ya know they've already been ordered. We could throw together some forum speakers on the fly. The app or OSHFUN txt system could advise of forum updates, etc. MUCH much smaller than in recent years, but still it could provide an opportunity to provide the continuity, especially after 3 or so months of isolation.

I never had the experience of the earlier days of Oshkosh, Rockford, etc., but from what I've seen anecdotally, it was a more purer (scuse the grammar) event. I love the full blown Convention, but we've gotta have SOMETHING, don't we?!?

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    Hi, All;

Just sitting here before the days chores begin and I got to thinking....

I know National is still planning on Convention occurring as normal, but things are getting weird with the spike in new covid cases, states locking things down, etc. So, what if...

Let's say mid-May comes around, things are still bleak, and National decides to call it a year and forego Convention. But then, suddenly, by July 1st, the world is somewhat back to normal. Would it be impractical to have a flash mob convention/fly-in? Just whomever wants to fly in, camp under their planes or in Scholler, and just have a good ol' "nothin' but talkin' planes" type gathering? Maybe just a long weekend. This wouldn't take too much planning, as the "stuff" is already there - Wittman, Scholler, etc.

They can sell some T-shirts, cuz ya know they've already been ordered. We could throw together some forum speakers on the fly. The app or OSHFUN txt system could advise of forum updates, etc. MUCH much smaller than in recent years, but still it could provide an opportunity to provide the continuity, especially after 3 or so months of isolation.

I never had the experience of the earlier days of Oshkosh, Rockford, etc., but from what I've seen anecdotally, it was a more purer (scuse the grammar) event. I love the full blown Convention, but we've gotta have SOMETHING, don't we?!?
    I love the idea. I bet it would scare EAA to death, not having control over everything with all of the contingencies in place.

BYOP (Bring Your Own Porta-Potties)?

Kind of the aviation version of the Zip to Zap.

Ron "Hopefully, they won't call out the National Guard" Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    BYOP (Bring Your Own Porta-Potties)?

Kind of the aviation version of the Zip to Zap.

Ron "Hopefully, they won't call out the National Guard" Wanttaja
    Not a problem. E-tool, roll of TP, and a poncho and, voilà, you've got an instant unisex bathroom.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Wait, what!?!?! You’ve got TP? I’ll be behind Exhibit Building B after dark selling bottles of hand sanitizer. Cash only. OK, maybe for some stick time.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    Wait, what!?!?! You’ve got TP? I’ll be behind Exhibit Building B after dark selling bottles of hand sanitizer. Cash only. OK, maybe for some stick time.
    I've lived in hurricane country most of my life -- I always have a good supply of necessities like TP, batteries, bottled water, fuel, etc on-hand. Other than the bars being shut down, COVID-19 has been a complete non-event for us.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

"Somewhat back to normal". I live in a State where maryjane is legal. What are you guys smoking?

...Let's say mid-May comes around, things are still bleak, and National decides to call it a year and forego Convention. But then, suddenly, by July 1st, the world is somewhat back to normal...
    G'day Carl, the nine y.o. boy in me wishes for this but I believe the reality will be very different.

Here in Australia, we have been told to expect that the social distancing and restricted movement of citizens will continue for at least six months. The health authorities are attempting to limit the rate of community transmission of the virus and flatten the infection curve. If the curve takes the form of a sharp, narrow 'spike' the number of infected patient admissions will overcome our health system's capacity to treat them. That's when a lot of people will die. Reducing the rate of infection will give our health system a fighting chance to save many lives.

We are limited to groups of no more than two people in public, restaurants have closed, bars and pubs have closed and anyone who can work from home is strongly encouraged to do so. Most states have closed their borders and we are not permitted to leave the country (and that ban includes Oshkosh pilgrims like moi). We have also been told to stay at home for the Easter break (i.e. no camping, fishing...etc.).

I can only see things returning to 'normal' when a vaccine is developed, has passed all the clinical trials and becomes readily available. My apologies for painting such a bleak picture but that's the reality. I have all but given up on Oshkosh 2020 but I hope to be there in 2021.

Best wishes to everyone. Stay safe.

GeorgeP - you are 100% correct in your assessment of the global situation. Social distancing and EVERYONE (including all of every societies' brain-dead lunkheads) following the pretty simple to understand other medical advisories is the VITAL link in the chain to stop the rapid spread of this virus. NO health care system on the planet is capable of handling an overwhelming rush of patients needing very limited and specific resources, like a ventilator.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Gee, Randy, I wouldn’t call myself a lunkhead....

Concur with your and George’s positions on the need to take the proper steps. I can’t believe how many cars are on the road ( when I go for groceries). They’re not all going to the store....

HOWEVER, I believe it is incumbent on us all to have the best outlook to give us a smile or hope for for something in the future. It lifts our spirits to think about happier times, and that alone has been proven therapeutically. Do I really expect a flash mob Convention?!? I doubt it could happen with the expected timelines involved, but, boy, I had fun thinking about it!!!

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton