Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tram Change At Airventure

Tram Change At Airventure

If I am reading right, plans are to stop the tram that comes into the convention from the Bus terminal just outside the main gate, I think it is the green tram and it runs in to just across from the tower just south of the A and P burger place.
    I think we really need this tram, many people use it. So I phoned EAA office and was disappointed to hear the yes they are stopping it. They claim that a survey of members said WE want it stopped.
    I don't think so. I never received any such survey, as a matter of fact since I joined EAA bout 40 years ago I have never once received a single survey that asks my needs, wants, or opinions.
    How about you? Do you think that tram would be useful? And did you ever have a survey on this or any other subject?
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 03-09-2020 at 02:48 PM.

The older I get about the ONLY time anyone ever asks me something happens at the grocery store - "Need any help getting those bags to your car sir?" lol..so No, I wasn't surveyed either about the tram changes.

IMHO dropping the Green tram to the Bus Park is a huge mistake. Someone else posted that they will be eliminating the stop at Vintage/Boeing Plaza on Vern St? IMHO a bigger mistake.

The general demographic in GA is aging, and geezers like me who are not as mobile as we wish we were are why trams exist in the first place. Making us walk further to catch a ride makes no sense to ME.
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 03-09-2020 at 09:01 AM.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

I also agree with an earlier post Randy made. With no stops on new blue route from Hanger Cafe to Camp ground entrance, lots of people will be jumping off as we slow to make the corner. Talk about a dangerous situation. I wonder what Vintage folks think about this.

We could easily stop at the Vintage Restaurant? Or just before that? There's GOT TO BE someplace between the Hangar Cafe and the new Hangar B Depot where a stop can be created? Maybe one will be created by Monday afternoon after a few tram jumpers get injured or after all those folks the tram blows by start loudly complaining to the 'Powers that Be'?
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Maybe the trams will have automatic doors installed the only open when tram stops. I have asked EAA and posted to Gene and Sandy. just waiting for reply.

I spoke to management at headquarters this afternoon and mostly I was disappointed in what I was told. Short version of bad news, yes its true the green tram to the bus park and into the grounds to the other trams just across from the tower is not going to run at Airventure.
    Why cancel it? EAA hired Northwestern to come in an do a survey? last year and they said to cancel. it is claimed that 10,000 members were asked or given a gps gadget and its based on this. I asked how these chosen ones were selected last year, I used that tram a number of times and was never asked my opinion. I also have never seen any sort of survey since I have been a member, which is since 1982. They claim surveys are sent frequently, but only to people who have given their email. I've been a member for 38years and attended every convention, every year, if that counts for anything. I probably spent $2500 last year in the area for the three of us.
    I may be sort of reading between the lines, but this reminds me of AOPA canceling the red board forum, and it being an already decision made at the top by a relatively few people and those not caring what the membership at large thinks. I know AOPA drove dozens of people, even long time members into not renewing.
    EAA has been very important to me, along with CAF its been the highlight group of my years flying. I have brought show airplanes, sometimes two per year, flown in the show, given forums, given Young Eagle rides, and taken a builders course in Feb one year.

Bill thanks for the update. Sheds a lot of light on the situation
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Hey guys, not trying to be a killjoy but there is a parallel thread on the same topic.

And yes thanks Bill for the info. I had commented on the other thread about why they didn’t do a member survey. I’m closing in on 50 years as a member and they've got my email - hmm no survey.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    The older I get about the ONLY time anyone ever asks me something happens at the grocery store - "Need any help getting those bags to your car sir?" lol..so No, I wasn't surveyed either about the tram changes.

IMHO dropping the Green tram to the Bus Park is a huge mistake. Someone else posted that they will be eliminating the stop at Vintage/Boeing Plaza on Vern St? IMHO a bigger mistake.

The general demographic in GA is aging, and geezers like me who are not as mobile as we wish we were are why trams exist in the first place. Making us walk further to catch a ride makes no sense to ME.
    And I think for the most part, old guys like us obey the rules, not like the many, MANY young people zipping around on scooters and golf carts last year.
    Bob, I might be old, but I'm slow !

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    Hey guys, not trying to be a killjoy but there is a parallel thread on the same topic.

And yes thanks Bill for the info. I had commented on the other thread about why they didn’t do a member survey. I’m closing in on 50 years as a member and they've got my email - hmm no survey.
    I got a very lengthy and poorly sequenced survey after the convention last year.

Q) How often did you ride the trams last year?
    A) Never/none.

Q) Of the tram rides you took, how many were along the main N/S airshow line?
    A) I had no answer to this. (There was a whole series of these questions which should have been avoided if they had done anything intelligent with the first answer in the sequence.)

Q) Where did you park your vehicle when attending the event this year?
    A) (no answer) Apparently, flying in wasn't an option anyone had considered.

Q) From where you parked your vehicle, how far did you have to walk to get inside the event grounds?
    A) Aargh.

There were many, many questions which simply didn't apply to someone who camped on the field. As I recall, one of my comments entered at the end of the survey was they needed to hire a survey company which actually understood the event and understood how to properly execute a survey.