Thread: My New Free iPhone/iPad Sectional Charts App

My New Free iPhone/iPad Sectional Charts App

I've finally released my first version of Pilot's Charts for the iPhone and the iPad. Please download a copy and if you can me five stars I'd appreciate it.

If you can't give me five stars let me know why and i'll fix it.

I'd also appreciate it if you would forward this message to any friends who use an iPhone or iPad.

You can get Pilot's Charts (for free) at http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pilot...2253?ls=1&mt=8

You can get free aviation charts for the app at http://www.imat.mobi/store

Eric,

I've downloaded the app and ordered 7 sectionals. I seem to have to be in the app for the charts to download. If the iPhone goes into sleep mode, it quits downloading and restarts a new download (for the same chart) when it resumes. Two things here.... Allow charts to download while the iPhone is in standby mode, see if you can implement a "resume" download function instead of starting over.

Also, I can't really navigate to anything else in the app while it is downloading. Seems like everything is single threading. For instance, if I swipe up or down to view the charts waiting to download, or I want to go back to the main page, there is a lengthy delay before that happens.

Good work so far! iOS, Objective-C and the Drupal cloud interface are not trivial to implement. Personally, I'd debrand the Drupal icons and replace all references to Drupal with your own branding.

I'll post more later after I've gotten the charts to download and I can play around with it a bit.

Mark

It's been 24 hours since I first announced this. I've got 151 downloads, 110 people who made it to the store and 230 downloads. It's a start.

Mark, thanks for the feedback. I just submitted 1.0.2. It fixes the slow interface while downloads are being done and makes some other improvements to the downloader. The downloads actually don't start over - they pick up where the were. I guess I didn't make that clear in the interface. I'll look at that in the next release. For now I just wanted to fix the red hot items.

I agree on the Drupal thing - it's on my to-do list. I'm learning Drupal as I go. I need to set up a customizable store and didn't want to roll my own.
    Last edited by Eric Marsh; 12-07-2011 at 03:51 PM.

I'm releasing the December sectional charts now.

Los Angeles 90
    Seattle 82
    St. Louis 85
    Green Bay 83
    Cincinannati 87

Happy

Version 1.1 of the Pilot's Charts viewer has just been released at the Apple app store. I made one exciting change in this version -- I added recordable waypoints to track your route for later reference.

I also made some incremental changes to the previous versions, most importantly I fixed a bug that occasionally prevented the Location Services from automatically restarting after stopping and restarting the Viewer. The other incremental change is improved documentation. I hope the documentation changes make it easier to understand the process of creating accounts, and ordering and downloading charts.

I hope these changes will improve the overall experience of using the Pilot's Charts Viewer. As always, if you have any questions or suggestions please send me an email. If you can provide a review and rate the app at the iTunes app store (http://itunes.apple.com/app/pilots-chart-viewer/id470762253?mt=8) I'd appreciate it. If you can't give it five stars please let me know why and I'll see what I can do to make the next version better.